Help me work out these yoghurt calories!

Options
So I made yoghurt. The ingredients were a bottle of Fairlife 0% at 555 cals, and an ounce of 0% starter at 15 for a total of 570. The finished weight of the cooked yoghurt was 1599g, and I strained off the whey leaving 900g. The whey was about 550ml/18-20 fl oz a little over 2 cups. How do I work out the calories in the 900g of edible product?

I know at 0% this isn't a huge deal but when I make full fat the difference is magnified and I sure would like to know for the hell of it anyway.

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    From a couple google searches, it is about 60 calories per cup (8 oz), with a breakdown of 12g carbs and 1 g protein (yes, I realize those calorie numbers don't add up to the macros).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hey thank you! That’s way less fuzzy than my math. In my recipe I can reduce the ingredient amounts to fit this output. Maintaining at 133 makes a hundred calories here or there something I’m very interested in!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When i posed this same question a few weeks or so ago, the conclusion we arrived at was to weigh the milk and then weigh the yogurt after any straining that you may do (i don’t). In any case, the calories from the weight of the milk are now portioned across the weight of the yogurt. Mine came out almost exactly as was on commercial yogurt cups.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    You produced 1600 g of yogurt with a total of 570 kcal. After removing the whey, you were left with 900 g of strained yogurt, which means you strained 700 g of whey (1600 g - 900 g = 700 g) . According to the USDA, 100 g of whey contains 24 kcal. So if you strained 700 g of whey, that's a total of 168 kcal, which means the final product now has 402 kcal (570 kcal total -168 kcal of strained whey).

So 900 g of your strained yogurt has ~402 kcal. Or 45 kcal per 100 g.

Note that this calculation is dependent of the calories of the whey and I just used a generic entry in the USDA as reference. I assumed because whey is mostly water (~90%) there wouldn't be much difference, but maybe someone who knows more about whey can tell you more about this. In any case, those are the calculations to estimate the calories on the final product.

This was incredibly helpful for me too. Makes sense.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    When i posed this same question a few weeks or so ago, the conclusion we arrived at was to weigh the milk and then weigh the yogurt after any straining that you may do (i don’t). In any case, the calories from the weight of the milk are now portioned across the weight of the yogurt. Mine came out almost exactly as was on commercial yogurt cups.

If I wasn't straining the yoghurt there wouldn't be any math for me to do.
  • amy19355
    Options

If I wasn't straining the yoghurt there wouldn't be any math for me to do.

Well, I thought the same, and then I went ahead and put the milk on the scale before culturing, and then weighed the resulting yogurt.

I did NOT strain the yogurt.
    Yet, there was an 8% loss of weight during the process.

• amy19355
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Which was? because I can buy yogurt that has 30cal for 100g or 100cal for 100g.

mine matched up with the 170 cal of a 7oz container of full fat plain Fage brand.