Replies

• MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    by the way that was for scottaworley
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Surprised at the quality of this WebMD article.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Just trying to give her help , you dont have to be an *kitten*. And the article actually has some good tips in it ..

The article encourages an unhealthy relationship with food and disseminates misinformation.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just came across this Mayo Clinic article today regarding weight loss and metabolism.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

Key parts:
    Energy needs for your body's basic functions stay fairly consistent and aren't easily changed.
    In addition to your basal metabolic rate, two other factors determine how many calories your body burns each day:
    Food processing (thermogenesis). Digesting, absorbing, transporting and storing the food you consume also takes calories. This accounts for about 10 percent of the calories used each day. For the most part, your body's energy requirement to process food stays relatively steady and isn't easily changed.

The best way to increase your metabolism is, as others have said, to build muscle.

Edit: I pasted the wrong part of the article... but then realized it was good, but needed a little more...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Eating constantly will rev up your metabolism. The downside is you might be filling up your calories too fast. I ate spinach with balsamic vinaigrette multiple times a day and I believe it sped up my metabolism. Super low calories so it was easy to fit!

I think it thinned out my blood though, felt light headed if I ate too much lol

I'm not even going to touch the eating constantly comment, but spinach does not thin your blood. Ever. Spinach is very high in Vitamin K, with is a coagulant.

OP: Lift weights. Muscle revs your metabolism.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Is cocaine a food?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    A condom.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I just came across this Mayo Clinic article today regarding weight loss and metabolism.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

A key part:
    Food processing (thermogenesis). Digesting, absorbing, transporting and storing the food you consume also takes calories. This accounts for about 10 percent of the calories used each day. For the most part, your body's energy requirement to process food stays relatively steady and isn't easily changed.

The best way to increase your metabolism is, as others have said, to build muscle.

Agreed. This is exactly why it does not matter how many times a day you eat. It's about the amount of calories that you eat. Your body isn't going to to spend 200 calories of energy to digest a 10 calorie carrot. That's just nonsense. For real world results, you can check the link below to some guys who only eat twice a day. They skip breakfast and only eat lunch and an early dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnT6dOgF674
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I had 3 babies in 3 years. Breast feeding melted the weight right off me. It was like those magic weight loss pills. I could eat anything, anytime of day or night and the weight just melted off. Maybe I should have another baby, so I can breast feed and lose weight quickly again?
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I had 3 babies in 3 years. Breast feeding melted the weight right off me. It was like those magic weight loss pills. I could eat anything, anytime of day or night and the weight just melted off. Maybe I should have another baby, so I can breast feed and lose weight quickly again?

So jealous of this. My wife eats probably around 3000 calories a day and is still losing weight. I am very careful and eat 1/3 less than her, and I lose 1 pound per week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Eating constantly will rev up your metabolism. The downside is you might be filling up your calories too fast. I ate spinach with balsamic vinaigrette multiple times a day and I believe it sped up my metabolism. Super low calories so it was easy to fit!

I think it thinned out my blood though, felt light headed if I ate too much lol

This is so awesome I wanted to quote it again.

I think Bro is here from BB.com.

Welcome.

Good luck on your spinach eating blood thinner faster metabolism.

We aren't as dumb as we look.

Well, some of us definitely are.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1333993067_fighter_knocks_himself_out.gif
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to rev yourself, do you have a petcock?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    What nomeejerome above me said. There's no food that will magically rev up your metabolism.

It's actually pretty well documented that certain foods do speed your metabolism. Science.
    Where's the link on a peer reviewed clinical study showing proof of this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennynesbitt728
    Options
    Thanks girlie:-)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yeaaahhh not a thing
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I may be totally wrong, and I am certainly no expert in this but I thought I had heard something about cinnamon being good for the metabolism. I had a nutritionist suggest adding it to smoothies or to yogurt.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I may be totally wrong, and I am certainly no expert in this but I thought I had heard something about cinnamon being good for the metabolism. I had a nutritionist suggest adding it to smoothies or to yogurt.

It tastes good, but does nothing for metabolism.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    People are clearly confused here: Metabolism and Thermogenesis are related, however not the same thing...

Green tea, coffee, cinnamon, hot peppers, etc do indeed temporarily increase thermogenesis (your body's use of fat), however do nothing for your overall metabolic rate.

Not being snarky, but many of the above are correct in that muscle and genetics are the predetermining factors in overall metabolism.