Wig wearers, please help

hipari
hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
Hi,

If you are or have been wearing a wig daily, please help me. I’ve been through some tough times with varying degrees of hair loss, and over the last few months it got so bad that I couldn’t hide it anymore and got a wig last week. Tomorrow is my first day back at the gym after the holidays, and my first workout with the wig. I have some questions/concerns, and I’m guessing a community as big as MFP is bound to have people with experience.

First, I’m worried about whether working out with the wig will damage it, either through sweating in it or if there’s some abrasive movement (for example, during bench presses).

Second, I’m worried about how to secure it both to my head so it doesn’t fall off and to tie it up properly so it doesn’t end up on my face. It’s a nice bob that just barely reaches into a ponytail, but will probably fall out of the ponytail unless I tie it super tight which I don’t think will be ok. Maybe pigtails? Can I use a headband of some sort? A hat? Just a hat and no wig at all? I’d really like to have hair also when working out, I’m tired of looking like a sick person. Seriously, after I got the wig I had a pretty startling realisation that people *weren’t* staring at me in public places anymore. I’d like to look ”normal” in the gym as well.

Third, if I have a morning workout and shower at the gym, is it OK to just put the wig in my locker on top of my stuff without a wig stand? I still have (some) of my own hair, should I wait until it’s completely dry after a shower or can I just put the wig straight back on and head to work?

I’m determined to not let this hair loss thing affect my life and the things I do anymore. I’d also love to find a good solution/get reassurance for wearing the wig at the gym and otherwise working out, because I want it to be a natural part of my look. My workouts consist mostly of weight training with some cardio warm-ups and stretching/foamrolling for mobility. I tend to do running during warmer seasons (currently it’s about -20 degrees outside so no outdoor running during the winter), and I’m hoping to also do some purely cardio workouts weekly. Any kind words, encouragement and practical advice will be greatly appreciated. I’m sooo done worrying over this.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I was going to suggest similar to @BrianSharpe and wear a bandana or head covering that you can sweat in and not worry about either damage or slippage. There are enough things to focus on at the gym so I'd simplify things if you're comfortable covering your head with something else and going without the wig.

Plus, my mom wears wigs due to hair loss and she's always complaining about how hot they are. You may want to factor that into your decision to wear one while working out as well.
  • hipari
    Thanks for the advice. I'm heading out to the gym soon, will see how it goes.
  • hipari
    Thank you for your advice and support!

I ordered a pack of cotton bandanas and a cap online, hopefully they’ll arrive soon. I also ordered another brush and some wig stands so I can keep a set in my locker at the gym.

In the first week now I’ve started to get used to the wig and how it looks and feels, the ”bald girl with a bandana” look will also take some getting used to. I’d love to be natural and kind of blend into the crowd without too many questions, but I suppose that ship has sailed and I don’t really have a choice. Also, my new boss works out at the same gym, so there’s a good chance I might run into him there and on top of my sweaty gym gear I’d prefer to not also look like a sick person* or make my wig-wearing such an obvious fact by alternating my look.

*Sure, my scalp has issues but I don’t have cancer or anything else that would be potentially life-threatening. This has been hard enough as is, and a bunch of concerned people with good intentions constantly asking and reminding me doesn’t help.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You know what else is cute? Runners caps, they’re stretchy and colorful
  • PinkGlitter0317
    PinkGlitter0317 Posts: 2 Member
    I wear wigs sometimes. One option you may want to try is to purchase or make a synthetic wig for the times you're in the gym. Basically, a gym wig! Since it's synthetic and cheaper, there isn't much worry about it getting damaged.

I sweat a LOT when I workout but haven't really noticed a difference between when I'm wearing a wig and when I'm not. When I work out in the morning, I go straight home from the gym and take off the wig and let my real hair dry. If you're going to work right after, you may not be able to do that, but I suggest you let your real hair dry as much as possible.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Wouldn't it be better to just leave the expensive wig at home, wear a hat to the gym and either nothing or a bandana/cap while you work out? Is there a reason you feel that you must wear the wig while working out?
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I wear wigs and weaves occasionally. I hold the wigs down with a ton of hair pins, elastic bands, and a large absorbant bandana. It helps with sweat and movement. I've had wig migration during cardio. Afterwards I just wash them and let them air dry when I get home (human hair/ synthetic blend).
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    I bought a synthetic wig for $ 10 to use as my gym wig. I also suffered hair loss in the past 2 years and this was one of the reasons why I avoided going to the gym.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I understand something called the Wonderwig can even be used to swim in!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Not me, but my mom when she was going through chemo. For a gym I would also recommend a nice cotton do-rag that you can toss in the wash. You can get them very affordable on Amazon in a variety of colors.