deep pain in joints after exercise - any solutions?

Options
I'm 2st overweight and in my early fifties. Just started a fitness regime after being a real couch potato. I'm loving the running and walking, but get really deep, strong pains in my joints, especially knees and hips.

My ankles and calves just have that nice ache of being exercised and feeling like they'll get stronger. But the knees and hips are really complaining for hours afterwards.

Will these deep pains go as I get fitter? Or are they a sign of age? Is there anything I can do (apart from hot Epsom salt baths) to ease them? I don't want to start taking painkillers every time I exercise.

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Is it just when you run or do you get the pains after walking as well?

Might be a good idea to have a word with your doctor.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    When did you start exercising? How much walking have you done? How far do you walk/run a day?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you it is not ready for the loads you are imposing on it. Running is a high-impact activity. Some overweight people can tolerate running when they are just starting out but most cannot.

Try just walking or doing some other lower impact activities for the time being.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    If you are coming into exercise after being a couch potato you may do better cutting back and building up slowly to the running. Walk alternate days building up to longer and faster walks, then alternate shorter and longer walks, after that move to a good couch to 5 km programme for the running.
    Your joints are not used to the impact of running and it would be better to build them up gradually.

Just speaking from personal experience there. I was a 54yo couch potato when I started exercising with a goal to lose 2st/28-30lbs.
    Aqua fit 3 times a week was a good enough challenge for me when I started. I then added in training to walk a 10km race after a few months.

Once I had a good general fitness level I had a go at doing all kinds of things. I still do a mix of classes, swimming, and walking, for my cardio, and strength training for muscle and bone retention/health 9 years into maintenance. (65now)

I would encourage you to find an activity or routine that will help you with muscle retention. We can lose muscle faster as we age and our daily activity level drops.

Cheers, h.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Manderson - I get pains after walking if I walk more than about 12k steps a day. And after running for a short time.

Lizard and Azdak - I've only just started this new year. Usually I swim once a week and do yoga flow once or twice a week but classes have been closed for holiday season.

Middlehaitch - some great suggestions - thank you. I should swim more.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Definately cut down the distance you are walking daily. 12k as a start is way too many. Maybe do alternating days of ~5k, ~8k, and hold off the running. You need th strengthen your ligaments surrounding your joints and that takes time.

Once your yoga starts up again, keep up the walking on none swimming, yoga days, then transfer to a C25k programme on your walking days when you are ready.

Personally I don’t run, I don’t like it. Just saying that so you don’t feel obliged to run if you find it is not for you. Plenty of other ways to get your cardio in.

Cheers, h.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch is usually bang on with her advice. :)

Slow it down a bit and build up slowly. We quite often over do the exercise when we first start because we want to improve our sedentary lifestyles quickly. It is great that you are starting to get fitter and I applaud that. Just be a bit gentler on yourself to start with.

I know how debilitating and disheartening it can be when you do a nice long walk and then end up in pain. I sometimes have to take some quite heavy duty painkillers when my Arthritis flares up after exercise.

One thing I do think might help with the walking is hiking poles, they were recommended to me by my physiotherapist and they really do take a bit of the strain of my hips and knees. I felt a bit daft at first but so many people use them now that it is no big deal. They also give your arms a little bit more of a work out than walking without them.

Good luck and take care. :)