Sprint/walk intervals

Options
Anybody do sprints with short walking intervals in between instead of jogging? If so what’s your interval time for sprinting and interval time for walking? Has it made a big impact on endurance and weight?

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    When I started running I did mostly interval training. I started with 2 minute walk/1 minute spring and then worked my way to shorter intervals. I typically did 30 sessions 3x a week.

When I started I couldn’t run a full mile. After about 4-6 weeks I could run 3 miles at a 12 minute per mile pace.

I did lose weight but that had a lot more to do with my diet.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Sprint 8 - 8 rounds of 30 seconds sprinting and 90 seconds walking recovery. Good stuff.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Tuesday's and Saturdays, I do a 2 min. warm up at 4.0 on treadmill. Sprint at 11.0 for 30 sec. Back to 4.0 for 60. I do those 30/60 intervals at those speeds 10x. Then a 2 min cool down at 4.0. 18 minutes total.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    pefal1 wrote: »
    Anybody do sprints with short walking intervals in between instead of jogging? If so what’s your interval time for sprinting and interval time for walking? Has it made a big impact on endurance and weight?

I occasionally do fartleks for speed work. I found plenty of slow miles has had the greatest impact on my endurance.

Running has never done anything for me weight though! The runger is real!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Walk to 1 electrical pole, run to 1 electrical pole, rinse and repeat.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I do sprints on a straight footpath with regular lampposts.
    Start by warming up, if I'm on my own that's a couple miles running, if with PT then we run up and down couple times then do dynamic stretching (heel flicks, side steps, small but fast, lunge walk, hamstring kicks) then we start

Mix it up with the actual sprinting. Started off sprinting to one lamppost recovery (gentle run) to next and did that in both directions right along the path.
    Then I sprinted 2 lampposts, walked one, repeated there and back
    Then 3 lampposts...Then the whole path.

Sometimes my PT will have me doing times sprints, 1,2 or 3 lamppost, walk back and repeat.
    Sometimes we'll do slow run, fast run, sprint right the way along.
  • firef1y72
    Options
    And the impact it's had is to make me faster on longer runs. Plus it's helped me learn to control my panic breathing, and of course it helps with the sprint finish (I can't.see.a finish line now without at least attempting a sprint.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

I used to do intervals most of the time, but learned that they are not good for endurance.

IMO, sprints are to running like lifting heavy is to weight lifting. Longer slower runs are to running like lifting light is to weight lifting.

After I worked my way up to being able to run 5 miles at a slow pace, I decided to start doing run/power walk intervals. I would either do 30 second full out sprint intervals (trying to hit my MHR) and 2 or 3 minute power walk intervals (keeping my HR in at least zone 3), or 1 minute run intervals (lower end of zone 5) and 3 or 4 minute power walk intervals (at least zone 3). I would do this over a 3 to 5 mile distance, depending on the course.

This is good for improving anaerobic fitness, but it caused my aerobic (base) fitness to suffer.

If you want to improve your endurance do most of your running slow and long. I think it is recommended not to even start working on speed until you can run a minimum of 10 miles.

I am in week 5 of a 12 week half marathon training program right now, and most of my runs are at a conversational pace. I am not doing it with the intent of doing any races (although that may change if I am successful), but just to be able to work my way up to running over 10 miles.

Other more experienced runners on the forum guided me in this direction, and maybe they will chime in and do the same for you.
  • firef1y72
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

I used to do intervals most of the time, but learned that they are not good for endurance.

IMO, sprints are to running like lifting heavy is to weight lifting. Longer slower runs are to running like lifting light is to weight lifting.

After I worked my way up to being able to run 5 miles at a slow pace, I decided to start doing run/power walk intervals. I would either do 30 second full out sprint intervals (trying to hit my MHR) and 2 or 3 minute power walk intervals (keeping my HR in at least zone 3), or 1 minute run intervals (lower end of zone 5) and 3 or 4 minute power walk intervals (at least zone 3). I would do this over a 3 to 5 mile distance, depending on the course.

This is good for improving anaerobic fitness, but it caused my aerobic (base) fitness to suffer.

If you want to improve your endurance do most of your running slow and long. I think it is recommended not to even start working on speed until you can run a minimum of 10 miles.

I am in week 5 of a 12 week half marathon training program right now, and most of my runs are at a conversational pace. I am not doing it with the intent of doing any races (although that may change if I am successful), but just to be able to work my way up to running over 10 miles.

Other more experienced runners on the forum guided me in this direction, and maybe they will chime in and do the same for you.

Personally I think you need a mix, I'm marathon training so yes have high mileage but even when I was <10miles I did other things than just running at a slow pace.

The long run, yes this should mostly be at an easy pace, it's about time on your feet. It is a good idea to a slightly faster "race pace" long run, just so your body knows what it feels like.

The recovery run - shortish run (I usually do 3 miles), don't worry about time, it eases off the legs.

Sprints - I do this once a week for half hour, really has made me faster, in fact for around 24hours I'm about a minute a mile faster.

Hill Reps - Pick a hill (or hilly route), run up and down for 30min/3miles. Makes running up hills during other runs easier, plus makes runs on flatter routes easier and faster. Again I do this once a week.

Mid length run, 3-6miles, usually try and push this one more, get some speed up, get out of breath, feel like I have very little left at the end.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    I love sprint work. I do it twice a week. I use a treadmill. This is an hour workout. I usually get 4.5 miles in. I do intervals. Walk/run/sprints/hills/ sprints on hills. I mix it up with whatever song is playing. (I actually use my spin playlists)

You could try something like this: dont repeat making it 30 min.

Walk for 5 minutes at 4.0
    Run for 5 min at 5.0
    Sprint work for 5 min-1 min at 7.0,rest 30 sec 8.0, rest 30 sec, 9.0, rest 30 sec, 30 sec at 10.0,

Hill work: every minute up the incline to 10. (10 min)
    Sprint on a hill for 5 min- 30 sec with 30 sec rest for 5 min- 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 8.0

End here or repeat!

Walk for 5 minutes at 4.0
    Run for 5 min at 5.0
    Sprint work for 5 min-1 min at 7.0,rest 30 sec 8.0, rest 30 sec, 9.0, rest 30 sec, 30 sec at 10.0,

Hill work: every minute up the incline to 10. (10 min)
    Sprint on a hill for 5 min- 30 sec with 30 sec rest for 5 min- 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 8.0

When its nice out I will do it outside pushing a double carriage with 2 and 5 year old.

Good luck and enjoy.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

Personally I think you need a mix, I'm marathon training so yes have high mileage but even when I was <10miles I did other things than just running at a slow pace.

The long run, yes this should mostly be at an easy pace, it's about time on your feet. It is a good idea to a slightly faster "race pace" long run, just so your body knows what it feels like.

The recovery run - shortish run (I usually do 3 miles), don't worry about time, it eases off the legs.

Sprints - I do this once a week for half hour, really has made me faster, in fact for around 24hours I'm about a minute a mile faster.

Hill Reps - Pick a hill (or hilly route), run up and down for 30min/3miles. Makes running up hills during other runs easier, plus makes runs on flatter routes easier and faster. Again I do this once a week.

Mid length run, 3-6miles, usually try and push this one more, get some speed up, get out of breath, feel like I have very little left at the end.

I agree on mixing it up. I think it's good for your heart & lungs to spend time in all the zones, and intervals are great because your heart gets better at going back and forth between stress and recovery.

But the plan I am doing says that all runs should be conversational and forum members are telling me to stick to it to the end. Even though I feel like my anaerobic fitness is declining, I feel like my base fitness level is improving, so I intend to see it through before adding anaerobic type workouts back into the mix.

But yes. Mixing it up is good.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

novice plans tend not to have speed work. i have heard a lot of experienced runners advising against speed work for the first year.