Low calorie or Keto?!

Options
Opinions?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, then you need to achieve a calorie deficit either by eating less, moving more, or some combination. Keto may be a way to reduce your calories, if you find that you're less hungry when you increase your fat intake and reduce your carbs. That depends on the individual. It's not necessarily either-or.

• Rowdy0603
    Rowdy0603 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lost around 80 lbs with calorie deficits. I had 2 kids and I'm ready to continue! Just looking for opinions! I could live on squash and lean protein. I'm just looking at more options.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Right, but if you do keto to lose weight, you'll still need to be in a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Keto (or perhaps simply low carb) will be helpful if you find fat filling and enjoy a higher fat diet, as it will make it easier for you to get into a calorie deficit.

I could never do keto, I don't find fat filling and can easily over eat nuts, cheese, and full fat dairy.

If you're curious, you could just start incrementally lowering your carbs and increasing your fat and see if you find a point where everything gets easier. But there's a lot of middle ground in between keto and nothing but squash and lean protein. Why not just try eating the foods you like and logging accurately to see if you can find a happy medium where foods you enjoy fit in your calorie goal?