How many pounds have you averaged a week?

Options
I am just jumping into this app again, as well as weight loss. I am a 5'4 female. Age 30. Currently around 140 pounds. Most of my life until now I have been 118-225 lbs. It's been a rough two years with depression and I have stopped nursing for the first time in six years between having children! How many pounds have you all been losing approximately per week? Especially females in my age and weight range (ish)?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    IMO, no more than 1% of body weight per week is a sensible target. At 25-50 pounds left to lose, that should be limited to more like a pound a week tops, anc at 10 or so to go to 0.5 pounds a week.

I started at 183 (5'5"), lost 2 pounds a week for a bit (too fast), got weak/fatigued), then slowed it down progressively using the above rules of thumb, and did a lot better in terms of keeping energy level up, strength good, and general health in a good place.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    With only 20 pounds to lose, expect to lose 2-3 pounds per month, and this may come off in whooshes, like after your period, rather than every week.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’m a bit shorter than you but this is how my weight loss has looked:

I’m 5’0” and in September started at 176 lbs with a goal weight of 120. My weight loss started out at an average of 2 lbs a week. But slowed to 1.5 lbs a week after about a month. I’m now 29 lbs down and looking to lose another 27. I’d love to keep going at 1.5 lbs a week but assume it will start to slow again as I get closer to my goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I lost my weight, I averaged about 1 Lb per week...that's not to say I lost 1 Lb every week...that was just the average over time. I had weeks when I lost nothing, or lost a little, or gained, or had a bigger loss...but over the course of about 8 months it averaged out to right around 1 Lb per week...maybe slightly more.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I started at 155lb 5'2" and 32 yrs old.. at first it was coming off quick, usually 2-3lb a week, then in slowed dramatically and was about 1-2lb a week. Then towards the end it was a snails pace, maybe .5-1lb a week. I got to my goal of 124lb in about 18 months, and am now working on losing a couple I gained over the holidays.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am a few inches taller than you, I usually lose around 0.5lb per week or so. I usually don't have that much to lose and I prefer to do it slow and steady.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and lost 25 lbs several years ago. It was at a half pound per week up until the last five to seven pounds then dropped to .25 to .33 per week. The scale only moved every few weeks as the loss was often hidden by normal daily fluctuations. I had no intention of losing any faster because I didn't want my calories any lower (I was working from home mostly and not particularly active outside intentional exercise. I ate all exercise calories too) and because I wanted to spare as much muscle mass as possible.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and currently weigh 122 lbs. I started off at 135 lbs 6 months ago, so I've been averaging 0.5 lb per month. As others have mentioned, the pound came off quickly during the first few weeks and then slowly tapered off. There were weeks where I didn't lose any weight and then it would suddenly come off.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    5'3 started out at 159 at the tail end of 2017. Lost 10lbs right out the door in the first couple weeks I think. Probably largely due to post-holiday water weight. Then it came off roughly on average of .5lb a week for probably the next 4 months, and then about .25lbs a week for about 4months after that to end up where i'm at right now (135). I expect the next 10-15 lbs to goal will probably be pretty slow. I'm aiming for roughly 1-2 lbs loss a month. I should note my average loss a week was not a steady, linear loss. It was more like see new low on scale, then jump up 3lbs and dance around there for couple of weeks, then new low, then up 3lbs from that, new low and the cyle would continue. The .25-.5 average per week came from my Libra app as an average loss per week.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started at 200 lbs and I am currently 149 lbs. I lost at an average rate of 1 lb a week over the past year and looking to lose 24 more lbs. My rate has still been a steady 1 lb a week.