Fasting 16/8 - need buddies!

Yesterday I started my very first fast. I'm spending 8 hours a day eating (11am-7pm) and 16 hours fasting. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, tips & tricks? I've wanted to lose about 50 lbs for many years now and I've only gained weight. I'm hoping the simplicity of the fasting plan will allow me to succeed. My only hangup is coffee in the morning - I cannot drink black coffee, so I'm still having a bit of cream.
Anyway.. anybody else out there doing the same thing?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I’m an IF practitioner. There’s a sub-forum here that I recently gravitated to but it’s like a ghost town. Nonetheless, I’ve chosen to frequent and post my journey even if I’m talking to myself on some days,

If you’re serious, check it out and start posting. I think it’ll help you.

Good luck!
  • Soccrr99
    Soccrr99 Posts: 180 Member
    edited January 2019
    @springsweet Hey! I’m actually starting this tomorrow with the same schedule 11-7. I post on the JUST GIVE ME 10 DAYS challenge group usually because weighing myself everyday is the only way I stay accountable lol I am hoping that this gives me the jump start I need and if it works and I feel great, then it can definitely me ongoing too! Are you also watching everything that you eat or trying to eat the same as previously just within the 8?
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    I’m an IF practitioner. There’s a sub-forum here that I recently gravitated to but it’s like a ghost town. Nonetheless, I’ve chosen to frequent and post my journey even if I’m talking to myself on some days,

If you’re serious, check it out and start posting. I think it’ll help you.

Good luck!

Where is the sub-forum?

Sorry I've been MIA since posting this. I couldn't remember where I posted it, I just now found it. SMH...
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    sdelpapa wrote: »
    @springsweet Hey! I’m actually starting this tomorrow with the same schedule 11-7. I post on the JUST GIVE ME 10 DAYS challenge group usually because weighing myself everyday is the only way I stay accountable lol I am hoping that this gives me the jump start I need and if it works and I feel great, then it can definitely me ongoing too! Are you also watching everything that you eat or trying to eat the same as previously just within the 8?

So how's it going for you so far? I'm watching what I eat. At first, I didn't, but I wasn't losing anything that way. Since I started watching it more, I've lost a couple of pounds.
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    AnnabellaxRinger Posts: 101 Member
    Yesterday I started my very first fast. I'm spending 8 hours a day eating (11am-7pm) and 16 hours fasting. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, tips & tricks? I've wanted to lose about 50 lbs for many years now and I've only gained weight. I'm hoping the simplicity of the fasting plan will allow me to succeed. My only hangup is coffee in the morning - I cannot drink black coffee, so I'm still having a bit of cream.
    Anyway.. anybody else out there doing the same thing?

I'm doing a 16:8 fast, with an 18:6 on occasion. I did just start a fasting group for women doing 16:8 and 5:2, that I'd be happy to send you an invite for! We have about 90 members, all women who are doing weekly weigh-ins, sharing their tips and tricks, and we always welcome questions from people curious about starting!

Shoot me a friend request if you're interested, I'd be happy to get you added!
  • Freakyobiotch
    Freakyobiotch Posts: 4 Member
    The first three days might be tough for you but after that you get used to the intermediate fast. For me personally I find that after I get used to it controlling hungry is now a manageable task. For me i have a window of 12-8 and it's just a routine now. If you have problems over eating during your eating window, drink water before your meal or eat more vegetables these two tricks helped my big appetite. Best of luck to you on your journey! Consistency consistency consistency! You got this!
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    I've just realised that I do 16:8 when I'm not working [I do seasonal work]. When I'm at home I don't have breakfast until 11am....lunch at 2pm and dinner at 7pm then no snacking. I don't call it anything ...It's just what I do. When I'm working I breakfast at 8am...lunch 1pm and dinner 7pm. It makes no difference, its the deficit that allows me to lose weight not fancy fasting.
  • ogma6
    ogma6 Posts: 14 Member
    I fast 16/8, and I put a splash of half and half in it. Just enough to lighten it a little. Everything I read and watched said as long as you keep a tight handle on it, a tablespoon or two of cream wont hurt your past. Just watch how much you consume, and no sweetened, flavored creamers.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited January 2019
    I do this naturally by preference, and always have, because I prefer a large evening meal and a bedtime snack. As others have said, it's not a magic bullet - you still need to set your calorie goal and stick to it. Some people find it easier to adhere to calorie deficit following this kind of eating pattern.

You might find this article interesting, it's an interview with Berkhan of leangains.com and answers a lot of basic questions about IF: http://www.leighpeele.com/martin-berkhan-and-intermittent-fasting-interview (though I don't care nearly as much as he does about pre-workouts because I'm a very casual lifter)
  • getfitfaster18
    getfitfaster18 Posts: 62 Member
    I'm in! Have you tried the Zero app on iPhone?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited January 2019
    Deleted on edit when realizing that question asked wasn't directed to me. My aplogies.