Plant-based

Hello everyone
Since going completely plant based I've gained so much energy and started to feel better though haven't lost much weight. Now I'm working on that and am looking for already vegans or people willing to try the amazing lifestyle to share motivation and tips.
Good luck to everyone
God bless
Phi

Replies

• metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    I tried Dr Fuhrman's nutritarian eating style (plant-based, no oil, whole foods) for 3 months. I loved how I felt but I only lost 8 lbs and I constantly craved olive oil.

I still eat a lot of low GI veggies and fruits but now I also enjoy organic animal protein as 20-25% of my diet, and I use olive oil everyday.

Good luck and enjoy the plant-based nutrition. I dont think any other eating style can provide so much energy and overall wellness.

Mastering Diabetes is a great group for WFPB diets.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Weight loss is due to a calorie deficit, not what we eat. WFPB is definitely a healthy way to eat, but if you are consuming over what would be a calorie deficit then you won't lose. How are you measuring what you are consuming and are you logging everything you consume with correct entries?
  • mrsallenmoore
    mrsallenmoore Posts: 42 Member
    I’ve been vegan for nearly two years if you wanna add me I have tons of recipes I’m looking to cut out oil
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    My goal is to remain WFPB. Omitted dairy Feb 1, and currently minimal oil & processed. No meat in 4 years.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    I've been vegan since 2012. I try to eat WFPB as much as possible. I'm just now getting back into fitness after a foot injury in 2015 during a heavy pack/hike.
  • Schnuppie86
    Schnuppie86 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm vegan since 2 years and half. Losing weight is the same but I think we already have a little advantage because we are more aware of what we eat.
    I'm a label freak 😁 add me if you'd like! I just re-started.
    A fresh chapter is what I need, together with vegan friends should be a great adventure ☺️
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Hi all! I lost 70+ pounds going low-carb and have kept it off for more than 6 years now. I went vegetarian 2-1/2 years ago and have still kept my carbs to "natural" ones (I avoid pasta and eat only low-carb breads). My husband and I are looking to go vegan/WFPB now. I'm afraid to start eating too many carbs, though! So many of the recipes rely on getting calories from potatoes, breads and pasta. I just don't want to regain the weight! I like where I am now and want to maintain.

I would love to have others around who are looking at the same types of challenges!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    debi_f wrote: »
    Hi all! I lost 70+ pounds going low-carb and have kept it off for more than 6 years now. I went vegetarian 2-1/2 years ago and have still kept my carbs to "natural" ones (I avoid pasta and eat only low-carb breads). My husband and I are looking to go vegan/WFPB now. I'm afraid to start eating too many carbs, though! So many of the recipes rely on getting calories from potatoes, breads and pasta. I just don't want to regain the weight! I like where I am now and want to maintain.

I would love to have others around who are looking at the same types of challenges!

You may have some initial water gain from reintroducing more carbs to your diet, but this should resolve. Fat gain would happen if you were consuming more calories than you are burning. Don't fear the carbs! I was once there and now I consume >250g a day and have been able to lose or maintain (depending on my goals).
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi Debi, fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes are healthy carbs, and As Cathi said, just track your calorie intake and make sure that you’re consuming the needed calories to meet whatever goals you have. You’ll do great!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Great start! Glad your lifestyle change is helping you feel better. To lose weight, just keep your new plant-based diet within calorie goals. There's no trick to it. You just need a reasonable deficit. B)
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    I've been vegetarian for over 10 years, and now want to focus more on WFBP. I don't plan to eliminate all dairy or cheese 100%, but have significantly reduced my consumption and want to reduce it further. My goal is to increase the WFPB portion of my diet significantly, with only minimal oil or cheese etc consumption. I'm also trying to lose weight and get back into shape after having a baby. I'd love some friends who are also looking to go WFPB to be able to share meal ideas with. My diary is open to friends.