Is my goal weight too little?

Options
I’m 5’5 and 122 lbs, I’m thinking about 115, so I don’t have to loose too much, but is that too little since it’s almost underweight?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Depends on your frame size http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

I'm 1.5 inches taller, have a large frame, and my family would do an intervention if I got into the high 140s.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Totally depends.
    For some their bone structure/skeletal configuration can make it unattainable or unrealistic.

I maintain easily at the low end of the BMI scale, but I am petite, and that is the weight I have been most of my adult life.

Something to take into consideration is would the lighter weight be easily maintainable.
    Would your calorie allowance keep you satiated or, would you be forever depriving yourself?

If you would like to improve your body shape, think of doing a recomp- maintaining your current weight while lifting weights (or doing some other type of resistance routine).

Cheers, h.

^^ This. There is no point getting down to that weight if you can't maintain it once there. I am at the lower end of the BMI range but know that I can stay satiated at this weight because I am quite active. If I became less active there is no way I'd want to eat so little so the logical solution would be to aim for a range that is closer to the middle or upper level of the BMI range instead.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m 5’5” and when I got under 120 people started to become concerned, myself included. I had very little muscle and that made me look even more unhealthy. Now I’m at 132, have a decent amount of muscle and still think I look rather small... so I’m still trying to gain. I wouldn’t recommend it as it was not sustainable, at least not for me. If you’re still unhappy with your body at 122 then I definitely suggest trying recomp. When I began eating more and putting on muscle my body changed in ways I didn’t think it could and I’m way more confident and healthy at 132 than I ever was being under 120! Losing another 7 lbs is a lot and will result in a drastically different physical appearance given your already (presumably) small frame compared to someone who’s heavier. So keep that in mind when aiming for a lower number on the scale.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I am 5’4 and 114 and have been told I’m too thin. Trying to gain weight currently.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Depends on your frame size http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

I'm 1.5 inches taller, have a large frame, and my family would do an intervention if I got into the high 140s.

Thank you for posting the frame calculator! This has helped me make sense of why BMI has always seemed inaccurate for me!
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and small framed. At my fittest, I was 125lbs and looked and felt great. I went as low as 122 which gave my abs a little more definition, but I couldn't maintain it and was just too thin. Personally, I like to range 125-130lbs with good muscle tone. Also... The scale is great for checking that you are on track, but once you are close to goal weight I find that the way my clothes fit is a better indicator. Building muscle may make the scale quit moving, but you'll see the difference in how your body looks.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'4/5'5 and I was around 112-116 in high school. For me, I was extremely skinny and waif-like, and I wouldn't be satisfied with that as my body type as an adult. YMMV, and for other people, that's a look they want. You go Glen Coco.

I suggest body recomp as others have mentioned. The number doesn't matter as much as how happy you are in your own skin. I'm aiming for the 120s again as a general goal, but I'm moreso going to be focusing on recomp once I've finished my weight loss to a point where I'm happy.

Recomp may be better for you, if you are already doubting whether the 110's are for you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    What do you hope that losing another 7 lbs will accomplish? Is it just to see that number on a scale, or do you think it will have some positive effect on the way you look or feel?