Water?

Hi fellow dieters! Does anyone drink about 2 gallons of water a day?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    No.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Nope
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Maybe on a hot day when I cycle over 100 miles - normally not even close.

Why are you drinking that much?
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    That would probably make me sick. I drink enough so that my pee is a pale yellow. I don’t track my water or try to guzzle down as much as possible during the day. As long as I’m hydrated, I’m not worried about how much water I’m drinking.
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 44 Member
    I don't now. But I did have a period when I did. I was getting headaches and stuff and when I lowered my intake than I felt better. You can drowned yourself so be careful.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2019
    I track hydration by the color of my urine. Pale yellow = good. You get hydration from virtually all fluids you drink (even caffeinated ones) and from many foods.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I don't count, but I expect I don't except maybe if I'm doing lots of exercise outside on a hot day.

Why?
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    I don't any unless it's boiled with a tea bag added.

I drink around 3.5-4 litres of fluids a day unless I'm running miles in the heat, even then no where near 9 litres!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    no..........................
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,738 Member
    Absent massive sweating, completely unnecessary, and possibly even dangerous.

If you insist on doing this, make sure you're getting enough electrolytes (sodium/salt, especially). If you notice the slightest sign of fuzzy thinking, headaches, nausea, or balance problems, back the <bleep> off.

Hyponatremia is unlikely, with that water spread through the day, but it is definitely a thing.

Like so many said, go by thirst and urine color. If you've become adapted to underhydration from the past, ramp up slowly.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    No
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Isn't that 32 8 oz glasses of water? Holy smokes I don't think I could drink that even after a heavy hiking day in the heat.

I'm not sure if someone said this yet, but weight loss comes from burning more calories than you eat. Seems like I read a lot of headlines that recommend drinking water to lose weight. Drinking more water than your body actually needs can be very dangerous, as stated above.
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    I’ve tried drinking 2-3 litres a day but I just end up having a lot of toilet breaks at work and when I’m out and about it’s more trouble. I do try to drink a lot on a day I know I’m gonna workout hard.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Water poisoning is becoming more common. The popularity of marathons might be a significant contributor.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa043901
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Yikes, no. I aim for two of my water bottles (20oz), and then I drink a couple cups of coffee and then 2 cans of diet soda a day. I also eat a lot of veggies/fruit, which have higher water intakes.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Ugh, no way. Along with everything else I drink and eat, I’d be peeing all day and night.
  • jdove5
    jdove5 Posts: 1 Member
    I never drink water 😬BUT I’m experiencing some health issues and in order to rule out some stuff, my doctor wants me to drink 99 oz of plain water a day...along with eating ‘something, anything!’ (her words) every 3 hours...I get that this is probably normal behavior for actual adults...but I’m struggling!
    All that to say 2 gallons seems extreme to me 😂
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    That's way too much water.