Is pork a bad idea for weight loss?

Options
Hey guys! I've just gotten back on the weight loss wagon. My problem is that I do not like seafood, and have moved to New Zealand where they generally don't sell turkey. This basically leaves me with chicken, chicken, and more chicken. Is it a bad idea to incorporate pork into my diet a few times a week with dinner? I'm desperate for other options but I dont want to hinder my progress. If there are other suggestions for better options please let me know:)

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Pork is a fantastic choice. Of course, like chicken, it all depends on how you prepare it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It’s all about how much fat is incorporated in the meat. A lean pork cutlet will have as much calories ounce for ounce as chicken.

Use the power of MFP to measure out portions that fit in to your calorie goals and you will be fine.

And, lamb?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    And, meatless options such as all the pulses, and Tofu?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    There is lots of lamb in NZ.
    And beef

Nothing wrong with pork but those are also readily available options.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Pork is a fantastic choice. Of course, like chicken, it all depends on how you prepare it.

Any suggestions out there on preparing it would be amazing! Thanks guys.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    When we are talking strictly about weight loss, then calories are the only thing that matters and it makes no difference what foods those calories come from. If you enjoy pork, it fits into your calorie goal, and you have no other personal reasons not to eat it, then you should feel free to eat it.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It’s all about how much fat is incorporated in the meat. A lean pork cutlet will have as much calories ounce for ounce as chicken.

Use the power of MFP to measure out portions that fit in to your calorie goals and you will be fine.

And, lamb?

I associate lamb with steak, assumed its better to stay away from it. But it's very common here so I could give it a try!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    you can get some nice lean pork steaks from supermarkets here in Australia - i'm assuming it would be similar in NZ. Just go for the lean pork instead of the full on pork belly type pork.

As long as it's within your caloric goal, any meat is fine. I eat lamb all the time. LOVE IT. NZ has amazing lamb. eat it. Again - if you are worried about your fat macros, eat leaner lamb options like lamb leg steaks - again - easily found in supermarkets. I eat them at least once a week.

You might be able to find turkey mince in the supermarkets too.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    you can get some nice lean pork steaks from supermarkets here in Australia - i'm assuming it would be similar in NZ. Just go for the lean pork instead of the full on pork belly type pork.

As long as it's within your caloric goal, any meat is fine. I eat lamb all the time. LOVE IT. NZ has amazing lamb. eat it. Again - if you are worried about your fat macros, eat leaner lamb options like lamb leg steaks - again - easily found in supermarkets. I eat them at least once a week.

You might be able to find turkey mince in the supermarkets too.

Can you get turkey mince at Woolies over there? Maybe they'd have it at Countdown, but couldn't find it at Pak n Save :(
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    What about sheep?
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ too. What about venison? It's a very lean meat and I now prefer it to beef.
    I like pork but rarely cook with it. When I do it's mainly stir fries however pork fillet is great when cooked properly (hubby does it so I don't how how thats done!). Not sure re the calorie content of pork mince as probably quite fatty. Good for lots of Asian dishes though.
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Can you get turkey mince at Woolies over there? Maybe they'd have it at Countdown, but couldn't find it at Pak n Save :( [/quote]

I've never seen turkey mince in NZ. Only ever seen Christmas turkey and very expensive rolled roast.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    vetvicki wrote: »
    I'm in NZ too. What about venison? It's a very lean meat and I now prefer it to beef.

I've never tried it! I'll have to check it out.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Any suggestions out there on preparing it would be amazing! Thanks guys.

Good question. I'm reading along as I just bought some pork filet and am still uncertain on what to do with it. Maybe cooked in a very hot pan so it gets a well brown on the outside, served with apples or berries. I do love crispy pork mince for some Chinese/Japanese dishes - though it's really difficult to get here. Shops only seem to have beef, or half beef/pork :'(
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

And, lamb?

I associate lamb with steak, assumed its better to stay away from it. But it's very common here so I could give it a try!

Why would steak be bad?

To answer your question, lots of pork cuts are low fat, high protein, including most pork chops and pork loin. Many beef and lamb cuts are too, and most game meat (venison) are. Look up calorie and macro information for various options.

I ate pork, lamb, and beef a lot when losing.