KETO IN COLLEGE

Options
1Vaughn
1Vaughn Posts: 4 Member
Hello since it’s a new year, I’d decided I need to make some changes! How can I maintain Keto while being in a college dorm with only a fridge and microwave? Is it unrealistic ? I’m new to this so any guidance would help! Thanks so much.

Replies

• 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    KISS- Keep It Simple, Silly! Hormel sells a large package of precooked bacon that has about 72 slices in it. Put about 6 slices between two folded paper towels, microwave for less than 30 seconds you have breakfast. If the package is too large for your fridge, buy a package of gallon size zip locks and transfer to a smaller container. Kroger (Dillons) makes a dairy product called Carbmaster, 2-4 carbs per container. I highly recommend Cinnamon Roll flavor but there are lots of others! Remember fruit adds carbs. Cheese sticks, pepperoni slices, also cooked in microwave between paper towels make a pretty good chip-like snack with a little cream cheese. Deviled eggs. Microwave scrambled eggs. Arby’s will cheerfully sell you a roast beef sandwich without the bun in a bowl...get the au jus and dip away, it tastes great! Just don’t touch the fries...you can substitute a salad for them! Eat the full fat dressing! Cheeseburger without the bun.

Remember this, if nothing else, keto is about keeping the carbs below 50 grams per day, 20 is better. Concentrate on the carbs first. A huge salad with pepperoni slices, olives, a little shredded cheese, spinach leaves(good protein source)and a full fat salad dressing. We like hidden valley spicy Ranch...2 carbs per two tablespoons so, don’t drown it. I throw a few chopped pecans on my salad, but be careful to use only a small amount. Remember salt is your friend! Keep hydrated because keto helps flush your kidneys and salt goes with it. Go to the Low Carbers group and join. There are lots of articles and people willing to help. Don’t let the naysayers make you second-guess yourself. You might feel crappy for a bit. Your electrolytes May get out of what while your body learns how to burn fat...drink a cup of that salty bullion made from the cubes. Yes, it’s salty that’s what you need.

I just had a young friend graduate from college on keto. She was chubby her whole life. You would not know that if you met her today. You CAN do this! You are worth it! I am 62 years old and wish I had known this when I was your age. I have read every science-based book I could get my hands on on this subject. I truly believe this is the way to go for your long-term health. If this is your choice, don’t be persuaded to do otherwise.
  • 1Vaughn
    1Vaughn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much! I will follow what you said closely! I really appreciate the detailed response!