Obstacle Course training

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm signing up for a 10km obstacle course in November. Its like Tough Mudder but half the length.

My fitness is pretty average. Maybe below average. I can jog/run for 2.5minutes before needing to drop back to a walk. Using the assisted chin-ups machine I'm lifting about 30kg.

So obviously I have a long way to go - I'm calling this Operation Get Fit As ****.

What would the best routines etc be? I've only done one day so far - it involved skipping, interval running, lunges, squats, rowing machine, assisted chin ups and a bit of ab work/core strength.

Replies

• brandon_2A
    Options
    I signed up for one of those Zombie 5k's in October so I'm kinda in the same boat. I did the Warrior Dash 2 years ago but couldn't really say that any one thing was more important than the other. We had to crawl under stuff, jump over stuff, swim, climb, balance...pretty much everything.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    oh it censored me. Well, you can guess what the missing word is, haha.

So you'd say I've got the right idea doing a little bit of everything?
  • brandon_2A
    Options
    From my limited experience I would say yes but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me that I'm wrong.

Obviously you have to run, so there's that. I'm trying to remember the obstacles now. I remember balancing on beams that were actually pretty high off the ground, running through a field of tires, swimming maybe 100 yards, climbing over walls about 4' high, climbing over cars, crawling under nets and through tunnels, climbing the high wall that has toe holds and a rope to pull yourself up with. So yeah, I'd stick with a general all over workout with making sure you have the cardio.

The 5k I'm doing in October is one where the people dressed as zombies try to pull flags from around my waist so I've been focusing more on running for this one since I will be getting chased!
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one called Hard Charge in a couple months. My wife and I did Run For Your Lives in May and it was a lot of fun. I wasn't ready for all of the hills since I mostly run on a fairly flat route. I am trying to motivate myself to do the Spartan WOD. You can sign up for them in your email or find them on Facebook. They seem to be a pretty good mix of running and other exercises.