Sharing weight-that number with others

Options
Hello mfp friends,
I would like to share my life situation and need some answers. I have always been overweight in life. I have lost weight so many time and have reached very close to goal weight only once in one of my weightloss journey. However, currently i am obese and working on making lifestyle changes. I have seen so many people even obese confidently sharing their weight. For me, it has always been a challenge, even when one time i went from obese to overweight category. I was still ashamed(probably) to share my weight. During that time, my weight was not that much, but still i had issue with sharing that number.As of now I am pretty confident with my rest of life situations. I had confidence issues growing up, but i feel i overcame most of them while growing up. My friends/family think i am a very confident/strong women. But that number i just cannot share with anyone not even with my husband and nor in public forum like this. My questions:
1. Is this a problem?
2. Has anyone else is going through this kind of problem?
3. Do i need to do anything about it?
4. What does this indicate?
5. If it is a problem, how to tackle it?

Regards,
Prady

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    1. Is this a problem?
    A lot of people do not share their weight or measurements with others. I think there is a difference between privacy and actually feeling ashamed. I think it is a problem if not being able to share your current weight is keeping you from working on your goals or causing you emotional/mental distress. I think you can be confident and not share your weight just because you don't want to.

2. Has anyone else is going through this kind of problem?
    I write my weight on our kitchen calendar every week. I don't announce it but anyone coming into my kitchen could see it. I rarely tell people my weight or post it online unless it is important to do so. If I had a question about if my calorie goal was correct including my weight, height and activity level would be important. I can tell my husband I lost 1.5 lbs since last week without telling him my exact weight. It isn't a massive secret for me but the number on the scale is just a number other people do not need to know most of the time.

3. Do i need to do anything about it?
    I guess it depends on how much importance/value you attatch to the number on the scale and how you let it effect your life. You are you whether you are obese, overweight or a healthy weight.
    Do people need to know your exact weight to support you? Probably not. You know where you are at, where you want to be and are the one who will need to do the work. It doesn't matter to me if you weigh 203.5 lbs or 191 lbs today to answer your question.

4. What does this indicate?
    Probably you think a lot about size, appearance and acceptance. Maybe you have had some past experience where you felt bad being bigger were shamed by someone or saw people shamed and still carry that baggage.

5. If it is a problem, how to tackle it?
    If it is holding you back or hurting you then working on accepting and loving yourself no matter your weight might help. Talking to a professional counselor/therapist could be helpful. Getting comfortable sharing your weight with someone might be helpful.

There are people here who weigh the same as you or more. You can likely find a buddy with similar weight and goals.