calorie counting drinks

Options
grego991
grego991 Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Looking at calories for powdered drinks such as Nescafe coffee or hot chocolate sachets it usually shows the calories per 100mls or
serving size etc. Can some one explain to me how can the calorie count change depending on the quantity?
If I use one sachet and 200 mls of water or 400 mls of water I assume the calorie quantity cannot change?

While we are at it, using calorie counter apps will give a different calorie quantity if I boil an egg compared to frying the same egg. If I am using a non stick pan and no oil/fat/butter or flavour when I fry the egg, ie:dry frying, surely it can't have more calories than the boiled egg?

Same goes with grilled v's steamed fish etc. If there is no additional "calories" added to the cooking of the fish, how can there be different quantities of calories?

Replies

• kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why I wish we could filter foods by the 'raw' ingredients added by MFP. I presume the foods with cooking methods assume eggs for example a cooked using more than a non-stick pan for fried, and water for boiled or poached.

As for sachet foods, the actual label probably has "(when prepared as directed)" on the label so if a sachet is recommended to be added to 200 mls, the 100mls information is actually for half not the sachet at greater concentration.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    it can be laborious but I put in the component ingredients of what i'm cooking. I only go for the 'ready made' option if it's restaurant food.

Re drinks, as the person above said, it's as per packet directions. If it says to add 100 ml water and you add twice that, then it still has the 100 ml quantity calories. Obviously if you add extra milk then there are extra calories in that.
This discussion has been closed.