Desperate for help

Options
My name is Annie. I have been here so many times. I lose a little and gain it back. I am miserable. I am an emotional eater. I can fight this battle for about 2 weeks and then I get weak and crash and burn.

Replies

• amberarringtonctrs
    Options
    Hi Annie. Do you mind if I ask you a couple questions? What seems to be triggering the emotional eating? Have you ever used anything other than food to distract from the pain? Would you be willing to try new things?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I struggle with stress/boredom/emotional eating. I can give you a few tips about what's been working for me:
    • Increased physical activity. Doesn't need to be strenuous; I started with 25-minute walks and, over the last couple of years, worked my way up to "shoot for 2 hours/day but 90 minutes is good enough. If I can't do that, then 80 minutes on the glider in the basement." When I'm exercising, I'm not mindlessly nibbling/aimlessly checking what's in the fridge or cabinet. It also helps my moods and stress levels. Plus, so long as I eat back half my exercise calories, I'm less hungry than on those rare days when I can't exercise.
    • Log before I eat. Sometimes, just taking that extra minute to see the calories in what I'm about to partake of gives me a chance to take stock and ask myself, "Do I really want to eat this?" And sometimes the answer is "yes" and sometimes it's "no" or "You know what... I can have [item with fewer calories] instead".
    • Keep a stock of lower-calorie/higher-nutrient snacks on hand. I can have a 250-400-calorie brownie OR I can have a 90-calorie fudge brownie Fiber One bar. I can have a 280-calorie bag of potato chips (well. If I run to the store for it, because I don't keep it in the house), or I can have 80 calories of salt-and-pepper Skinny Pop Popcorn or 120-calories of roasted chickpeas.

When I first started losing weight, I got real with myself and admitted I wasn't about to pass up dessert when everyone around me was having some. But once I accepted that... I decided that I was going to restrict my desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving and reserve bakery treats for special occasions. And that's been working out pretty well. You may find other tricks that work for you.

Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You need to develop new ways to deal with the emotions. Boredom is the easiest: create a list of simple tasks, or start a new hobby.

Yoga and other exercise could help with the other emotions. And it keeps you from getting bored while you are doing it.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi Annie - you can do this.

Reading success stories is helpful.

Finding a replacement for emotional-eating will be important. (I like yoga for this - but find fiction is also a great escape for me.)

Eating enough to satisfy you is essential if you are to continue longer than a few weeks. (Starving is something your body won't allow for long. To succeed you will have to make friends with your body and work together.)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest going to the gym? It's unbelievable how many people suffering from depression, etc have benefited from the gym.

Also, are you eating too little? A lot of people binge when they eat too little. Set your weight loss at .5-1lb lost per week. It will be slower, but at least you'll have more food and won't crash and burn then quit.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Welcome Annie! Know that you aren't alone, and you're in the right spot for some encouraging words and new ideas. I had success a while back, but after my second child was doing the back and forth as well, it's tough to get back into but I have to have the mindset that everything I eat, or do (or not do) is MY choice, and if I want it bad enough, I will fuel my body with the proper food and activity to get over the hump and make new habits. Good luck, and there are already a few great ideas here that hopefully you can attempt!