Eating my macros...what a difference!

Options
So I’m about 7 months in and two months ago I hit my goal weight, or so I thought.

However my secondary goal was to reach 15% BF. I was at 17% when I reached my goal weight. In researching MFP and other outlets, I read how important the right macro split is for each individual. So about two weeks ago I started focusing on eating my macros. Now my recomp phase is working better than planned. While I’ve seen a slight weight loss ~3.5lbs, my BF is now down to 15.6%. Biggest change is eating all my carbs (which I hadn’t been during the first 5 months). Bottom line...the sooner you eat your macros during your weight loss journey, the quicker the results you will see. EAT YO MACROS PEEPS!4gc8e8fwfgkg.jpeg

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've been on the macros bandwagon for two years and love it. It has become a part of my life now. I wouldn't want to eat any other way. Good for you for hitting your macros!
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I'm all about balancing macros before anything else. It's a fun game to me to see if I can nail my macros to the exact percentage and gram. Too many people get tunnel vision on calorie counts and forget about the things that constitute those calories!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Is there something wrong with my eyes or is the MFP app going crazy? Why on earth does it have you at 11k calories when you've obviously consumed 1500? (which looks a bit too low for a recomp for a man, by the way)

Macros do affect us in nuanced ways. I'm less active when my carbs are lower even if I don't feel like I am, but my steps always tell me I slow down when I undereat carbs.

ETA: never mind, didn't notice it was cumulative.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm the same way, I'm all about balancing macros before anything else. It's a fun game to me to see if I can nail my macros to the exact percentage and gram. Too many people get tunnel vision on calorie counts and forget about the things that constitute those calories!

Not caring about macros is not the same thing as not caring about anything but calories.

I focus on calories and protein, but then simply nutrition and eating in a mindful, enjoyable manner. It doesn't seem to affect me when my carbs and fat vary (although I tend to have a more usual way of eating).

That said, I think I found the structure of focusing on macros helpful when I started and it can be fun, and may make a difference for exercise goals. (I did try increasing carbs to 50% to see if it helped my running, and it didn't seem to make a difference for me. I do naturally eat more carbs when more active, but total calories are more too.)

I also think it's important to understand that ideal macros (if there even is such a thing) are going to vary by person. Too many people seem to think that picking one set of macro goals over another is necessary for weight loss, which isn't true and may overcomplicate it.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I watch my macros and it has helped me to understand what I'm eating in regards to fat, sugar and salt.

Now my doctor wants me to cut fats as much as possible because of high cholesterol so I am paying attention to that and I am always over on the fats!

My doc said to go low fat as much as possible and quit butter. So now I am trying to figure that one out and it's obviously difficult for me, but I have lost a few more pounds since I began to watch it.