Heads up on cough drops

Options
If anyone has a cold like I do and is taking over the counter cough drops, beware of the calorie count. I just checked and the drops I have been taking are 10 calories per drop. Some may contain sugar and be as high as 50 cals per drop. I'm not sure about other medicines, but if you are counting calories some of these cough drops are just like candy!

I have some organic tea and it lists calories at 0. So, I will be switching to tea instead of cough drops. Just something to keep in mind for anyone else that has a cold.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always check if supplements or medications have calories. It doesn't stop me from using them, but it's good to know. Keep an eye on that fish oil if you're taking any.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ...but also worth noting you should try and avoid a large deficit if you're truly sick, your body needs the energy to help recover.

Precisely. A good reminder to be mindful for calorie content, but this should be addressed using triage. Recovery should be prioritized above weight loss.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about the fact that there is a limit to how many you are supposed to have per day (in fact per hour) since they are, in fact, medicine.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    There are sugar free cough drops available.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Check out NyQuil...
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    yes