Low sodium, low cal foods?

LaurenH2010
LaurenH2010 Posts: 71
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone have any suggestions for filling foods that are low in sodium and low in calories that I can take with me to work? I would appreciate your suggestions

Replies

• dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    It is very hard to beat fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and home cooked vegetables (without salt, or with Morton's lite salt). So many commercial and highly processed foods seem to have oceans of salt in them.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Like the previous poster said there aren't many options besides fresh fruits and veggies. Processed foods seem to be loaded with sodium these days.
  • solvig
    solvig Posts: 25
    It's very hard to stay on a low sodium diet without making everything at home. I suggest if there is one in your area, do as much of your grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. Their food tends to have lower sodium than most and it can make things a bit more easy. You still have to watch the labels, but it can be done without too much trouble. Also, their 21 season salute is a great salt substitute!

Aside from that, fresh fruits and veggies are your best friend.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Check the organic section of your grocery store, I like a soup by health valley that has no salt added.
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    I do hot air pop corn (no salt no butter) and put that in a bag for work... very low calories and no salt. worked great for me.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    canned tuna or canned salmon? you can get low sodium /no salt added varieties and add your own spices to them

homemade hummus can be low in salt and filling

some brands of crackers are good choices (i like ryvita)

depends on how low cal you want to get...
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Dried apricots, almonds, an apple, carrots and hummus, or a hard boiled egg are some of my go too foods.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Multi Grain Cheerios. I took a cup to work in a zip lock bag and it was a great afternoon snack. Only 110 calories. Is 207mg of sodium a lot?
This discussion has been closed.