Diet Vs Exercise

Options
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/health/diet-exercise-weight-loss/index.html
I read this article and author makes an interesting point that if you are trying to lose weight should focus on diet and not exercising. For example the calories you burn exercising can be easily eaten away and a vigorous workout could just make you more hungry. What do you all do? Focus on diet or diet and exercise?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Well both, but this article is assuming one isn't tracking caloric intake and output and just winging it.

Purely based upon the value of input vs output the food you eat is the primary variable. 1400 kcal/day intake > 300 kcal day output from exercise.
  • PaigeAnderson1793
    PaigeAnderson1793 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I focus on both, but I put more emphasis on my diet.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I exercise regularly but eat all of my exercise calories (the mfp way of tracking) so any of my losing, bulking, maintaining comes from the calories I eat. I like it what way.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find I'm less hungry when I exercise and eat back a portion of the burned calories than when I don't exercise and eat less. (I'm on 1360 to lose 1/2lb per week. Eating back around 50% of my exercise calories, I take in around 1600 most days and I'm good. But on days when I decide not to exercise and just eat the 1360, I tend to have more hunger).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Well both, but this article is assuming one isn't tracking caloric intake and output and just winging it.

That's what we often see here though... people focused on their exercise routines and no mention of diet.

This was me prior to MFP. I imagine the majority of people believe this. The misinformation campaigns from the diet/fitness industry are massive.

At the gym I go to, most of the people there are working with one of the trainers as it is not an open to the public gym. I know all of the trainers well and personally and they all really emphasize diet...but still, there's people I've been seeing in there for the last 3 years that haven't changed one iota except to get stronger and more fit...they don't listen to the nutrition advice and some of these people are in there 2-3 times per week at $50 a pop.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Diet is definitely what does it for me, for weight loss (or weight maintenance)... I do like having some extra calories to work with when I work out, but I exercise mainly because I like feeling stronger, having better posture, and just looking and feeling less flabby... I notice a massive difference when I exercise regularly, in my shape/size, even if my weight stays basically the same
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

That's what we often see here though... people focused on their exercise routines and no mention of diet.

This was me prior to MFP. I imagine the majority of people believe this. The misinformation campaigns from the diet/fitness industry are massive.

At the gym I go to, most of the people there are working with one of the trainers as it is not an open to the public gym. I know all of the trainers well and personally and they all really emphasize diet...but still, there's people I've been seeing in there for the last 3 years that haven't changed one iota except to get stronger and more fit...they don't listen to the nutrition advice and some of these people are in there 2-3 times per week at $50 a pop.

yea it's interesting how you can work out so hard and not lose weight. Is there anyway to raise your BMR?