Question about losing

Options
Hey y’all! Starting new and strong. Just curious, has anyone had success with a significant amount of weight loss that loathes protein shakes, and veggies?! Thanks in advance! 😀

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I would venture to say that many here have achieved & maintained weight loss without protein shakes or stuffing themselves with veggies. Why do you think these things are necessary?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Hey y’all! Starting new and strong. Just curious, has anyone had success with a significant amount of weight loss that loathes protein shakes, and veggies?! Thanks in advance! 😀

Yes.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes 32lbs gone by eating the foods I enjoy just making them fit my calorie allowance. No need for shakes and tons of veg if you don't like them.
  • try2again
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The only thing you need to be concerned about as far as food choice and weight loss is satiety. Whatever you need to eat to keep you happy & satisfied long enough to stick with it and lose weight is fine. A secondary concern is to get enough protein, since weight loss can also take a toll on our lean muscle mass, but a person doesn't need protein shakes to do that. Also, I always encourage people to chose a modest weekly goal so that it is easier to live with from day to day. It's always a great goal to get more nutrition in our diet, but you can work on that as you go along, if you even want to.
  • cherylreneex3
    cherylreneex3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been stalking people’s diaries and most have been filled with veggies & protein shakes that why I was wondering. Thank you for your advice ❤️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been stalking people’s diaries and most have been filled with veggies & protein shakes that why I was wondering. Thank you for your advice ❤️

If you stalked my diary, you'd find it crazy-full of veggies . . . because I love veggies, and find them filling - double win. Maybe the other people you diary-stalked like them, too. Some people are weird that way. ;)

Nary a protein shake in my diary, though: Don't find them tasty or satisfying.

Calories are all that count for weight management (other than food choices that help you feel full, to make it easier) but nutrition is important for other reasons, like best health. If that matters to you, you'll want to take steps to get enough protein, enough fats, some fiber and the necessary micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, other phytochemicals like anti-oxidants). The easiest route to the fiber and micronutrients is usually fruit and veggies, with vitaming/mineral tablets more of an insurance policy.

It's totally up to you to decide what's important to you, and how best to accomplish it given your tastes and preferences. People here will try to help, when you have specific question.

Appropriate calories for weight management + balanced eating for nutrition + exercise for fitness = best odds of long-term good health.

Best wishes!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    My diary has a bit of veg in it (because I like it) but nothing over the top I don't think. Very occasionally it has a protein shake. I do, however, enjoy putting a scoop of vegan protein in my porridge when I have oats for breakfast (or dinner). And no i'm not vegan, I use vegan protein because whey protein makes me fart.

But coming back to your question, you don't need veg or protein shakes. As mentioned already above, as long as you're in a deficit, a sustainable non-crazy deficit that is easier to live with rather than be starving to death and dreaming of food 24/7.

The good thing about veg is the fibre and other micronutrients and the filling up meals for volume - the more volume the better for me - if I can see a gigantic plate of food in front of me I subconsciously feel like i'm eating more and therefore less hungry than if I have one little thing on my plate.

Good luck!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I don't have my diary open because quite frankly it's no body else's business what I'm eating but if I did and you look at my diary you'd see way more coffee, yogurt, pizza, burgers, pies, kebabs and frozen dinners than veggies, chicken breast and salads but I still lost 40kg (88lb) last year. That's the stuff I like to eat, so that's what I eat now. The only difference is how much of it I used to eat compared to now.

I have a feeling that a lot of the open diaries give a false impression.
  • try2again
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I don't have my diary open because quite frankly it's no body else's business what I'm eating but if I did and you look at my diary you'd see way more coffee, yogurt, pizza, burgers, pies, kebabs and frozen dinners than veggies, chicken breast and salads but I still lost 40kg (88lb) last year. That's the stuff I like to eat, so that's what I eat now. The only difference is how much of it I used to eat compared to now.

I have a feeling that a lot of the open diaries give a false impression.

Yep... my diary is heavy on Greek yogurt, eggs, soups, and has a scattering of fruits & veggies (I honestly would like to improve on that), but also a lot of pizza, pasta-based casseroles, mashed potatoes, snack size candy bars, and cool whip (for the yogurt ;) ). Oh, and tonight, 3 servings of Fruity DynoBites (I had the calories left). I do have a frozen banana smoothie with vegan protein powder sometimes in the morning, but just because I like it and it keeps me full all morning. :)
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 30 lbs without drinking a single protein shake.

I do eat veggies but I’m certainly far from having enough veggies in my diet. I’m sure I could stand to eat a few more salads!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    If you looked into my diary (it's private) you'd find masses of bread, oats, pasta, rice, couscous and similar things. Losing weight was easy for me.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Weight loss only about calories in and out.

I’m sure there was a post here about a guy losing weight while only eating ‘junk food’.

If you’re working on building muscle and body composition then shakes and veggies might be beneficial although not strictly necessary.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it is absolutely attainable. You can eat pretty much whatever your heart desires, as long as you stay within your calorie goal. Best of luck to you - I know you can do this! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't do anything special for weight loss...they're just a supplement to help you hit protein targets, so if you don't like them, they're certainly not necessary.

I personally love veggies and eat a ton of them...but I do that for the micro-nutrients and my health...not really necessary for weight loss other than they can fill your stomach up for very few calories.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I closed my food diary because I got tired of people making comments about how little veg I eat. I just don't find veg very appetizing or filling. After many, many sad years of a vegetarian diet, I discovered MFP, started logging the foods that I can actually lose weight while eating and realized that I'm a LCHF person--pretty much the opposite of a vegetarian.

I got nowhere eating tons and tons of veg while trying to lose weight. I now eat meat again and a significant portion of my diet is dairy. I still try to eat a salad or something like that each day but I'm nowhere near the 8 or a billion daily servings that most people figure you should eat. After two decades of trying fruitlessly on a vegetarian diet, I lost all the weight I wanted to while eating only modest amounts of veg.

Just in case, I take a good multivitamin to help supplement what I might be missing out on in my foods. Although it is far better to get your nutrients from foods than a supplement, it's not so much if the foods don't satiate you and you eat way too much of them or turn to junk foods to satisfy your appetite as I did for so long.

Basically, eat what satisfies you. That's more important than meeting some other person's expectations of what your diet should be.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and you will find plenty of veg in my diary. Don't think I've ever had a protein shake in my life, though.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i don't do shakes. i like to eat my calories. I did for a bit when i needed something before an evening run but that was short lived.

i do eat veggies. not a huge variety but many of the ones i eat. i am about volume eating and many vegetables are low in calorie density.