Exercise on an empty stomach or not ?

Options
I am trying to get into a walking routine .I am not an early riser by nature but wondering if it’s more beneficial to walk at a moderate pace about 3.5 mph for 60 min prior to eating ? I seem to to have more energy prior to eating than after .what do you do, and have you had better results with or without eating prior to exercise?

Replies

• hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you have more energy prior to eating, you can do your routine at that time. I think it doesn't really matter when you do it if you stick to it.
    Personally I have a very low energy level in the morning and all I can do without eating is yoga and maybe 20 minutes of walking if I have to leave from home without having breakfast, then I would probably starve to death.. :smiley: After eating I have to wait approx. 1.5-2 hours to be able to exercise with full energy, so I do my workout routine usually in the afternoon. This works for me, something else might work for you. :) What works for everybody is sticking to their goals.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I usually like to work out on a slightly full stomach, or a few hours out from eating a meal. With walking, I don't necessarily need to eat beforehand, unless I'm planning on doing a hike.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I personally can’t. I feel ill when I do but it’s personal to me. My friend has no trouble
  • RockinBaker5210
    RockinBaker5210 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 30-45 minute brisk-ish walk upon getting to work before eating or drinking anything, first thing in the morning. I'll do another 30-minute walk at lunchtime after eating lunch. Because I am at work and in work clothes, I try not to break too much of a sweat. When I get home, I then do another 30 minutes before dinner where I push myself harder.

That being said, it is all in how you feel. Some days, I am fine not eating first. Other days, I am starving and feel weaker. If walking first thing before breakfast feels better for you, go for it! Test a few things out and which makes you feel best.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    All of my work outs are in the morning before consuming anything but water and coffee. It works great for me.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    As already stated, it's all personal preference. I need food on my stomach prior to a workout. Heck, I sometimes eat between sets. I can't lift or do cardio fasted or I just get lightheaded. Walking I'm sure would be a bit different. I would prefer food first but it may or may not feel necessary depending on the distance.

Try it both ways and see how you feel. It won't make any difference fitness/weight wise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    As already stated, it's all personal preference. I need food on my stomach prior to a workout. Heck, I sometimes eat between sets. I can't lift or do cardio fasted or I just get lightheaded. Walking I'm sure would be a bit different. I would prefer food first but it may or may not feel necessary depending on the distance.

Try it both ways and see how you feel. It won't make any difference fitness/weight wise.

I like peanut butter pretzels between sets :smiley:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

I like peanut butter pretzels between sets :smiley:

Pb on ritz or a banana are my usuals. 😜
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,032 Member
    Options
    Personally, I workout before I go to work in the morning. If I have everything ready and I *need* to eat something, I will eat a banana or a yogurt plus my coffee(black). If not, I just have my coffee, head to the gym and put in whatever time I set for the day. Most often, I just have a coffee and go. I have hard boiled eggs after my workout(even if I ate before), and that's it until I take my lunch break at work.

Like it has been said before, everyone is different. You just have to figure out what works for you. 😊
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do my workout at home as soon as possible after waking up. The only thing I have in me is a sip of water. I shower, coffee and a snack after. If I was to eat and coffee first, I'd probably not get around to my workout before work. Plus, I don't think jumping around with a belly full of coffee and food would feel good. Do what works for you.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I usually run on an empty stomach. Or om coffee. 🤣
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    One slice of toast with 5g of peanut butter before my workout. I get ravenous on an empty stomach and sick if I have too much.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, it's personal preference. I go to the gym early in the morning during the week so work out on an empty stomach as I'm not hungry but when I work out at the weekend I eat beforehand as I get up later.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,348 Member
    Options
    ...you had better results with or without eating prior to exercise?
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180815085742.htm

No difference in weight loss, but empty stomach improves metabolic health and insulin sensitivity. Burns fat.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've been experimenting. I always stretch in the a.m. and do some activation exercises on an empty stomach. This is because I'm not hungry when I wake up and much of the stretching includes prone or downward positions.

Then if I do a morning workout after, I would usually eat oatmeal with yogurt, nuts, nutritional yeast and a bit of fruit, wait two hours (to avoid heartburn in prone position) before swimming/surfing.

However, lately, I've reduced my morning intake to a cup of protein shake, and then waited two hours before exercising. I was scared that I'd run out of energy in the middle of the ocean or get dehydrated or light-headed. It's been going well.

So this morning, I went on an empty stomach (drank water only) and swam 1.2 miles. I took a packet of honey with me in case I needed a quick boost while in the water. (I didn't have any gel packs and it was the only small thing I could think of taking in my fridge).

As everyone has said, it's different for each individual. For me, if I workout before 9 am, I can probably go without food, and just have water. But if it's after that time, I need to eat something, and then will wait 2 hours before exercising so my stomach has some time to empty.

Another angle that I've read is that if a person exercises after fasting/on an empty stomach, the energy used is drawn from fat rather than carbohydrates. It has it's own set of other health benefits. I don't think one method is necessarily better than the other, and there is no difference in weight-loss. Just the source of energy being used is different.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For walking I wouldn't have any preference either way - it's not like you have to fuel the modest calorie expenditure from food just eaten as you have loads of readily available energy onboard.

For regular exercise up to about 2 hours I'm pretty ambivalent about eating or not unless it's a particulalrly intense 2hrs. My longest fasted ride was 40 miles at a brisk pace (17mph) but I was carbed up to the max after an all inclusive holiday.

In reality the vast majority of my exercise just fits in my day and my regular eating schedule and fasted or fed makes no discernable difference to me in terms of either performance or hunger.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    surfbug808 wrote: »
    Good question. I've been experimenting. I always stretch in the a.m. and do some activation exercises on an empty stomach. This is because I'm not hungry when I wake up and much of the stretching includes prone or downward positions.

Then if I do a morning workout after, I would usually eat oatmeal with yogurt, nuts, nutritional yeast and a bit of fruit, wait two hours (to avoid heartburn in prone position) before swimming/surfing.

However, lately, I've reduced my morning intake to a cup of protein shake, and then waited two hours before exercising. I was scared that I'd run out of energy in the middle of the ocean or get dehydrated or light-headed. It's been going well.

So this morning, I went on an empty stomach (drank water only) and swam 1.2 miles. I took a packet of honey with me in case I needed a quick boost while in the water. (I didn't have any gel packs and it was the only small thing I could think of taking in my fridge).

As everyone has said, it's different for each individual. For me, if I workout before 9 am, I can probably go without food, and just have water. But if it's after that time, I need to eat something, and then will wait 2 hours before exercising so my stomach has some time to empty.

Another angle that I've read is that if a person exercises after fasting/on an empty stomach, the energy used is drawn from fat rather than carbohydrates. It has it's own set of other health benefits. I don't think one method is necessarily better than the other, and there is no difference in weight-loss. Just the source of energy being used is different.

RE: the bolded. Depending on intensity, fat is a primary fuel substrate for exercise fasted or not. As intensity increases, primarily of cardio vascular exercise, more of the fuel substrate is glucose from carbs. But fat is always in the mix to a varying degree. It is really intensity that drives how much of the fuel substrate is glucose. At lower intensities, it will be fat, either ingested or stored that is mostly burned.

As you said, there has been nothing that has indicated that training fasted increases fat loss. So in the end, it comes down to performance and preference.