Really need help - please read ;(

Options
On Friday past I finished my ten days of Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. I have been feeling sooo good since I started and my confidence has went through the roof.

Until....

On the last day I noticed that my calves were mega tight but I pushed through and finished the exercises to the best of my abiltity stretching afterwards as always. I drink plenty of water and make sure i get enough protein through the day.

However come Sunday (yesterday) I developed this really annoying, dull pain in the right hand side of my ankle. I tried doing Level 2 today but didnt commit to it like I could have.

I cant tell you how much I have enjoyed the last few days and I really dont want to stop BUT anyone who has had foot or ankle pain while doing this programme PLEASE tell me how you got it fixed.

I am drinking lots of water today and have stretched well after a bath. Im also icing it intermittingly.

I should mention the first week and a half I did it in socks and the last few days I used trainers

Help please!

QC

Replies

• LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching before and after? The more you stretch the better things will feel.
    From personal experience I have work an ankle brace before while doing the shred - I also have extremely arthritic knees. Sometimes your body just needs a break - also, swimming is a good way to work the muscles in your legs because they can relax and have an area that makes them feel lighter when working them out. Sometimes when you do an exercise for so long your muscles can strain. I know when I started T-Tapp I had to stop right after it because my calves were hurting so much. Icy-Hot is nice too (if your not allergic to it).
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I done 2 weeks level1 of the 30 day shred i thought to myself this feels easy so I decided to do level 2 today thought I was going to die but I have had a couple of days off its not my ankles that are bothering me its my left hip oh and the hamstrings today but I have also started doing the walk at home with leslie sansone which probably is my problem with my hamstrings I am drinking plenty of water as well I also had a couple of days off which didnt help me at all but yes Jillian is a hard trainer so I think I might go back to level 1 for a couple of weeks
  • QuestionableCarrot
    QuestionableCarrot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Stretching before a workout.

Is it ok to go straight into a stretch or do you need to warm up a little first?
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Stretching before a workout.

Is it ok to go straight into a stretch or do you need to warm up a little first?

I would do both. I mean if you have Yoga or something like that to warm up with it is great. I know what pain you are talking about I got it with 30DS and T-Tapp, but I know when I do Skinny B**ch work out they start us out with stretching prior to and after.
  • QuestionableCarrot
    Options
    Thanks Lady

How long did your pain last and what did you do to ease it / get rid of it?
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    This sounds like a tear larger than you get during regular DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness, this is the pain you get from the microscopic tears alongside a build up of lactic acid within the muscled you’ve exerted).

To prevent injury like this you must warm up the muscle prior to stretching and don’t go from sedentary/light exercise to over exertion in one workout, build up to it. Ensure you’re wearing supportive trainers and stretch after to help your muscle fibres relax.

The only way to heal now is RICE, Rest Ice Compress Elevation.

You’ve inflamed the surrounding tissue and further exercise will prolong the healing time. Crap to hear I know, especially if you’re gagging to get back to it. You can still exercise but I wouldn’t advise doing a high intensity routine like Shred. Some cycling or swimming until the pain is gone.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Thanks Lady

How long did your pain last and what did you do to ease it / get rid of it?

For me it took a few days, like 3-5 days. I was also working on my feet a lot so that didn't help
  • QuestionableCarrot
    Options
    Thank you ladies xx

Yes BEEUK that sounds JUST like it.

It was a gradual thing that has crept up. I remember reading somewhere not to stretch before working out but I guess I should have done some light exercise first.

I am doing to ICE It for the next few days and switch to walking or cycling.

TY

x
  • BEEUK
    Options
    Let us know how you get on, hope it’s better soon! :D
  • 00snook
    00snook Posts: 16
    Options
    I had a similar niggling ankle pain from doing Insanity, and it has manifested into an achilles injury that is taking an age to shift, even doing virtually no exercise at all.

Go and see a physio would be my advice, and see what they have to say.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10593217

"The basic science literature supports the epidemiologic evidence that stretching before exercise does not reduce the risk of injury."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/does-stretching-prevent-injury-20130419-2i553.html

"The non-profit Cochrane Collaboration has published several reviews during the past 10 years that have assessed the efficacy of stretching, before and/or after exercise, on muscle soreness. The most recent review, co-written by the University of Sydney's Professor Rob Herbert and released in 2011, drew on a dozen, mostly small, randomised control trials (for which half the participants stretched, the other half did not) and one large study with more than 2300 participants. They found stretching provided little, or no, reduction in muscle soreness experienced up to a week after physical activity. While the reviewers acknowledged the studies were of average quality, when grouped together their findings were consistent."

When will people stop recommending stretching as a prevention or even remedy?
  • BEEUK
    Options
    Cold muscle is more susceptible to injury. That's something I have been trained to know and have experience of at a personal level.

Warm up sets and stretching, why risk hurting yourself and miss them out?
  • QuestionableCarrot
    Options
    Would going for a small jog around the block be a good start before getting into a few stretches AND then doing 30DS?
  • QuestionableCarrot
    Options
    ?
  • SuperTristan
    Options
    In general you need to know your own body. A lot of these exercise programs are designed for people who are already active. Insanity and 30Shred are high intensity training. Your body should be at a level of conditioning prior to doing them ideally. Starting them from scratch is going to hit the body hard and it will need time to recover which you won't get following the program verbatim. Know your body, know your aches and pains, know when to stop and allow healing. Your body will repair and you can go again stronger and fitter.

I would recommend (if you are not in regular exercise) to integrate a couple of the training sessions from insanity or the like once or twice a week and build up to being ready to attempt the full program. Then, listen to your body, eat what you need, sleep lots and stretch any problem areas. I know from personal experience that Insanity really hits the calves (and quads) but doesn't do much in the way of stretches for them. Do your own.

There is some debate about the benefits of stretching before and / or after training. All the reports suggesting no benefit from stretching do not suggest any damage caused from stretching (except perhaps stretching lumbar spine area and the possible effect on stability when lifting heavy weights) so, in my opinion, it is largely accepted that stretching prevents injury and assists recovery and doesn't cause any damage (if done correctly) so, stretch. I know it helps me.

In short, Listen to your body, ease into more intensive training and do what works for you. Good luck, keep it going. Tristan
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Not sure this will help you, but when I first started, I had horrible leg pain above my ankle (side of my calf). It was so severe I went to my doctor. She told me, it could be a matter of taking on too much too soon. You have to ease yourself into exercise when you're starting from nothing. So I started off small by just walking. I also invested in new shoes (I got cross-trainers even though I was walking). She also recommended to take pain medication as needed and to try and get in more potassium, as low potassium can also attribute to leg pain.

Hope this helps!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I think it may be tendinitis, I get similar pain in my ankle after hitting it hard. I'd actually take everything low impact for a while as you heal (while treating with ice and ibuprofen), ideally sticking to cycling and swimming. If you want to carry on doing 30DS, stop all the jumping, doing half-jacks instead of jumping jacks, for example. And stretch, stretch, stretch those calves!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    In general you need to know your own body. A lot of these exercise programs are designed for people who are already active. Insanity and 30Shred are high intensity training. Your body should be at a level of conditioning prior to doing them ideally. Starting them from scratch is going to hit the body hard and it will need time to recover which you won't get following the program verbatim. Know your body, know your aches and pains, know when to stop and allow healing. Your body will repair and you can go again stronger and fitter.

I would recommend (if you are not in regular exercise) to integrate a couple of the training sessions from insanity or the like once or twice a week and build up to being ready to attempt the full program. T

I was going to say this... I hate those programs that are titled 30-day something or another because people actually do them everyday... Your body needs time to heal and doing the exercise and working the same muscles everyday for 30 days is going to cause some injuries.
  • Genette38
    Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As well as what the above posters have said, make sure you watch your form. There are a lot of compound moves and dynamic moves in the Shred DVD and sometimes when your new to it, it's hard to maintain good form over the whole body. make sure you aren't turning your ankle out to the side on lunges and that you are not flexing outwards on squats etc.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Is this where the pain is? I think I've just diagnosed myself while Googling your problem :ohwell:

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/ankle_and_foot/tibialis_posterior_syndrome_full.php