Just Dx with Diabetes - looking for other 50+ women to encourage one another

Options
I am 62, and was just diagnosed with diabetes today. I am looking for other women who are interested in sharing the process of getting down to a healthy weight and adjusting what we eat to avoid the need for insulin (or lower the amounts of medications). I am starting at least 55 pounds overweight and also inactive (due to injuries in the past). I have been given information from my doctor with recommendations on carbs, sugars, sodium, protein, etc. - still studying and trying to decide menus I can handle. Please join me as we change our eating habits and exercise to live longer!

Replies

• dgraf123
    dgraf123 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I’d love to join, have been on the brink of pre-diabetes for a while so I need to change my lifestyle now! Will send u a request.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    This diagnosis can be overwhelming, so take your time absorbing all the information.

Were you put straight on insulin?

The ADA recommendations are based on insulin dependence, so if you are on insulin, that is a good starting point.

Personally, I have to keep my carbs much lower, but I am not on insulin, so not likely to suffer blood sugar lows from cutting carbs drastically. With insulin, that is a real concern.

I find that exercise is a very important piece of my plan. My fasting blood glucose may or may not show that I had a piece of chocolate, but will pretty much always show when I miss a workout. You don't say what kind of injuries you have suffered, but short of being in a full body cast, there is usually something you can do.

• kristiepurcell
    kristiepurcell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiya I'm 34, had gestational diabetes when pregnant. My son is 8 months now. Was diagnosed with type 2 when he was 3 months old. My HbA1c bloods were 58 at diagnosis. In the past 3 months I have dieted by cutting calories using this app and have been adding in some excerise. So far I have lost 1st 4lb. I've just had my bloods redone and they have come down to 44 which is in the pre diabetes range.
    Reducing carbs has been the main focus as they increase my blood sugar drastically. Good luck with your journey x
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been pre/diabetic for the past several years. Got serious about weight loss (40 lbs lost with 20 more to go). This week my A1C came back at 5.1. Dr took me off 2 of 3 medications. Will check again in 3 months to see if I can get off the last one. You may friend request me. My diary is open to friends. I eat lower carb, but nothing to radical.

Kathleen

PS I’m 54 years old
  • jaynew018
    jaynew018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was asked yesterday if i wanted to start meds for pre/diabetics. well I chose to go the diet way. I would love to share and get ideas from you all.
  • elainethomas67
    elainethomas67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am almost 52 and was diagnosed almost 3 years ago and so far mine is managed with diet and exercise but I want to lose weight, get healthier and rid myself of any need of meds. I believe we can do it and encourage one another!!! I am doing low carb as I did it before and it works. My goal is 70 lbs and so far, after 5 days I have lost 3 lbs. What is everyone doing as far as an eating plan?
  • Jane14828
    Jane14828 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also pre-diabetic. I am on a mission to lose 25 pounds!
  • Jane14828
    Jane14828 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb
  • elainethomas67
    elainethomas67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We can do it Jane14828!!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My diet pretty closely follows South Beach or Mediterranean style, perhaps even less fruit and grains.

But tomorrow I will eat a reasonable portion of dessert and maybe even the clam chowder. I can afford to because I will be dancing it all off before the night is over :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I was diagnosed type 2 two years ago. At that time my A1c was 11. Today it's 4.9, controlled with diet and exercise.

The first piece of advice I have is to buy a blood sugar meter and use it often. Not all doctors will prescribe one if you are not on insulin, but that's okay, they are inexpensive. I use the Bayer Contour Next, which had the highest accuracy ratings in consumer tests. And also has inexpensive strips if you buy them on Amazon. Walmart also makes an inexpensive meter.

Use your meter after meals to learn how many carbs your body can tolerate. Different diabetics have different reactions to the same foods, as well as different reactions to exercise. For example, I can eat a lot of fruit without my sugars going too high, but barely any rice, while some people are the opposite. My levels drop quickly when I lift weights; some people see a temporary rise due to stress hormones when lifting weights. Without using your meter you can't know, and no doctor can tell you this information, because your body is different from every other body.

Log everything. If you are obese, put your goals in MFP and aim to lose as rapidly as is safe, since obesity causes insulin resistance. If you can get those pounds off you may see much better blood sugar control.

When you have your food under control, exercise! Exercise is so important for diabetics. If you are completely sedentary start small. Five minutes is better than nothing. When I started out I was barely able to walk around the block, and my weight lifting was just some water bottles. Time your exercise to your eating. Research has shown that three ten minute walks after eating are better for glucose control than one thirty minute walk.

I eat fairly low carb - about 150g a day - but not keto. It works for my tolerances but everyone is different. Since I have taken up running, I can eat a large amount of certain kinds of carbs, such as French fries, on days when I run. But there are still foods, such as bread, cake, pie, candy, sodas, and other sweets, which are a no-go for me and always will be. Instead of trying to eat substitutes or tiny portions, I just wrote those things out of my life, mourned, and went on.
  • amayk
    amayk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I turn 50 in march, not diabetic, but I cook for my husband who is. We both need to lose weight, feel free to add me :)
  • beast_kitty89
    beast_kitty89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic and use insulin and trulicity so far. I am oddly allergic to metformin. I also have gastroparesis that is likely due to diabetes. I am 29 but feel free to add me.