The weight difference between scales on carpet or tiles

Options
LAF1993
LAF1993 Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi,
So I know its been shown that scales often show you weigh more when you put them on a carpet compared to a hard surface but regardless of that when I recently moved house my scales went into my carpetted room (as my housemate hates scales!). I didn't weigh my self for a while then what with the stress of moving and when I did I saw I'd put on 5kg. Now i thought the carpet would of added like 1kg so I carried on weighing myself in my room. Then this morning I thought I should just see what the difference was in the bathroom.

Suddenly I've dropped 6.5 kg! And I weigh less then before I moved. I really don't know what's accurate anymore or if all the moving broke the scales - possible? I actually kinda feel bigger in my clothes, they are not as loose. But a 6 kg difference between carpets and tiled surfaces does seem a lot. What reading should I go on or should I just buy a new set/ weigh myself at the gym?

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've noticed if I even move my scales, but on the same surface the weight can change. Maybe go weigh yourself at the gym like you said or in a week weigh yourself on the same scales but don't move them.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I weigh on tiled floor, laminate or what ever. Unless your carpet is tightly knitted you are going to have fluctuation in the scale because the floor is uneven. If you go to the doctor, they normally have laminate floors. I would suggest the scale in the bathroom (if it is not carpeted)
    (and I do it in the nude or underwear - at home)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It's simple, scales are temperamental. Moving them can mess with the calibration/balance of them. Keep them in the one spot, if you want consistent values.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Come on now. You're supposed to lay the scale on a flat, even, hard, surface. Usually this info is printed on the manual.

-______________-
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Urgh..... Seriously use your head... flat even surface, and even if you don't do so you shouldn't expect it to be the same every time. If you don't have an even surface get a large book or plank of wood and put it on there.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You have to weigh on a solid floor, not carpet. Can't you take your scale to another room, weigh and then put it away? It's a waste of time to try to weigh on carpet.
This discussion has been closed.