Intermittent fasting

2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Ive done 16:8/18:6 for the last 3+ decades. I was fasting before I knew what it was or what it was called. Ive lost,gained and maintained on fasting. as for skipping breakfast I was never a breakfast eater so for me fasting works, its still about your calories though. if you are losing weight fast then you are eating too little calories which is not the point of fasting to be honest when it comes to using it for weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Rozbee1 wrote: »
    This fasting really does work just weighed and measured myself after 3 fast days in 2 weeks:

Weight 6lb lost
    Waist 1inch list
    Hips 1 inch lost

Thats good news for the other fast days.
    According to Dr Michael Mosley who pioneered the Fast Diet we can fast for the rest of our lives for 1 day a week on maintainance when you reach your goal. Until then you can do 2 days.

there is more than one type of IF. some do 5:2 which means 2 days of 500 calories and the rest is eating maintenance calories which is creating a deficit. some do one meal a day. I do 16:8/18:6 which is usually 2 meals a day and several snacks. if you lose weight you are in a deficit. you can still gain weight fasting if you eat too much. I know from experience.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    How do you folks get out of the habit of breakfast? This is my downfall and where actually where most of kcal
    Comes from but when I wake up I
    Am moody and want something. How do you prolong your fast or just get your mind off food?
    How do you folks get out of the habit of breakfast? This is my downfall and where actually where most of kcal
    Am moody and want something. How do you prolong your fast or just get your mind off food?

But what some study say that ladies shouldnt skip breakfast.. so being female you might choose to eat from 10:am to 4:00 pm. Fasting for 16 hours can be adjusted as per your convinience.. If you feel more hungry in morning.. skip dinner and have breakfast

thats study is wrong. I have skipped breakfast most of my life. hasnt made a difference for me at all
  • Rozbee1
    Rozbee1 Posts: 335 Member
    This fasting really does work just weighed and measured myself after 3 fast days in 2 weeks:

Weight 6lb lost
    Waist 1inch list
    Hips 1 inch lost

According to Dr Michael Mosley who pioneered the Fast Diet we can fast for the rest of our lives for 1 day a week on maintainance when you reach your goal. Until then you can do 2 days.

there is more than one type of IF. some do 5:2 which means 2 days of 500 calories and the rest is eating maintenance calories which is creating a deficit. some do one meal a day. I do 16:8/18:6 which is usually 2 meals a day and several snacks. if you lose weight you are in a deficit. you can still gain weight fasting if you eat too much. I know from experience.

I fast for 2 days eating 500 to 600cals just once a day, usually tea time. Then the other 5 days eat normally. I drink coffee and lots of water to help with hunger. It does work.

Happy fasting folks
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Weight 6lb lost
    Waist 1inch list
    Hips 1 inch lost

I fast for 2 days eating 500 to 600cals just once a day, usually tea time. Then the other 5 days eat normally. I drink coffee and lots of water to help with hunger. It does work.

Happy fasting folks

because you are eating in a deficit thats WHY it works for weight loss. as for making you less hingry its going to vary person to person. but even if you are fasting and your one meal exceeds your maintenance calories (which can be done) you WILL gain weight.Ive gained weight fasting,Ive lost and Ive maintained. if you can do the 5:2 and it works for you thats great whatever works. but for me 2 days of eating so little calories would cause me to be very grumpy and hungry. Thats why for me its 16:8/18:6 depending on when I get hungry
  • Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    See the ultimately calorie deficit is must if you want to reduce wt. Whether u do it through intermittent diet or through 6 diets.. now its from person to person, who find what way more convenient as per his /her preferences, abilities temperament...

We cannot force our theory on everyone.. what is more convininet to me.. might be hell for someone else...
  • Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member

But what some study say that ladies shouldnt skip breakfast.. so being female you might choose to eat from 10:am to 4:00 pm. Fasting for 16 hours can be adjusted as per your convinience.. If you feel more hungry in morning.. skip dinner and have breakfast

thats study is wrong. I have skipped breakfast most of my life. hasnt made a difference for me at all

Ya still u cant say study is incorrect.. it might be based on general theory and exceptions are there.. Lets say for example I find very easy to skip breakfast despite of 5 km run.. while my wife start fainting if she doesnt eat till 10 am..
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Soul_mate wrote: »

Ya still u cant say study is incorrect.. it might be based on general theory and exceptions are there.. Lets say for example I find very easy to skip breakfast despite of 5 km run.. while my wife start fainting if she doesnt eat till 10 am..

It has nothing to do with being female. Some men aren't a good fit for IF either. Some people just need to eat breakfast, that's all.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Interesting discussion!!!!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    If you are super hungry in the morning and like a big breakfast then make your eating window more in the morning and close it earlier in the evening. you pick the eating window make it work for you.
    Hey I lost 2 KG in 14 days.. through intermittent fasting and of course with lot of sweating on running field.. want to continue it for 25-30 weeks.. is it safe?

the weight loss is not due to IF but due to calorie deficit. People maintain and even gain doing IF

You lost 4lb in 2 weeks so about 2/lbs a week which is a fairly aggressive rate of loss (though may be water weight which accounts for bigger drops early in a calorie deficit). The rate of 2/lbs a week (or 1kg/7days) is good if you have a significant amount to loose (ex: 100+). if you have less to loose then you should aim for 1-1.5lb/week (closer to 0.5kg). Then as you get down to the last 20ish lbs to loose you should reduce to closer to 0.5-1lb/a week.
    I do all the damage to my diet on Sundays.. I end up eating all the non sense on Sunday which i easily avoid all six weekdays. Probably Sundays are not good for me? what to do?

A few ideas:
    - you can include "nonsense" food every day in moderation. i eat chocolate and dessert daily. and still maintain a rate of loss i like. this may help from falling off the rails too badly (binging).
    - save calories daily to allow for more leeway on Sundays
    - learn moderation. eat the nonsense food WITHIN your calorie deficit.

for weight loss calories are king not "quality" of the food. you can eat junk food alone and lose weight if you are eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member

Weight 6lb lost
    Waist 1inch list
    Hips 1 inch lost

Happy fasting folks

it works because at the end of the week you eat at a calorie deficit. when you eat those calories in the week doesn't matter beyond helping keep you satiated. While many of monitor calories daily, there are others (who do IF and who do not) who instead look at their calories over a week for balance/tracking.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

it is wrong because it says that ladies shouldnt skip breakfast which is a crock of crap. what does being female and skipping breakfast have to do with anything?