Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

'Traditional masculinity' deemed harmful

Ed_Zilla
Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
Oh boy - more political correctness!
Here is the article cut/pasted into this post. The links to the paper and the article are below:

'Traditional masculinity' deemed harmful, could lead to sexual harassment, medical group says

By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

It's all your fault, men.

For the first time in its history, the American Psychological Association (APA) released guidelines concerning men and boys, saying that so-called “traditional masculinity” not only is “harmful” but also could lead to homophobia and sexual harassment.

“The main thrust of the subsequent research is that traditional masculinity – marked by stoicism, competitiveness, dominance and aggression – is, on the whole, harmful,” reads the news release by the famed association.

It notes that research shows “traditional masculinity is psychologically harmful and that socializing boys to suppress their emotions causes damage that echoes both inwardly and outwardly.”

The 36-page document goes on to coin “masculinity ideology,” which stems from traditional masculinity, and claims that it harms boys and men.

“Traditional masculinity ideology has been shown to limit males’ psychological development, constrain their behavior, result in gender role strain and gender role conflict and negatively influence mental health and physical health,” the report warns.

The “masculinity ideology” is defined by the APA as “a particular constellation of standards that have held sway over large segments of the population, including: anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence.”

The research goes on to suggest that masculine boys may put their energy toward disruptive behaviors such as homophobia, bullying and even sexual harassment rather than strive for academic excellence.

“Though men benefit from patriarchy, they are also impinged upon by patriarchy,” said Ronald F. Levant, EdD, a professor emeritus of psychology at the University of Akron and co-editor of the APA volume “The Psychology of Men and Masculinities.”

The new paper also advises clinicians how to address the problems of their own bias when treating boys and men, and urges to address how “power, privilege, and sexism work both by conferring benefits to men and by trapping them in narrow roles.”

here is the actual paper being released by the American Psychological Association
https://www.apa.org/monitor/2019/01/ce-corner.aspx

And here is the first headline that lead me to the previous paper...
https://www.foxnews.com/health/american-psychological-association-deems-traditional-masculinity-harmful-could-lead-to-sexual-harassment

Replies

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Hey Folks - we are locking this debate, this is not the right forum to debate this discussion.

12. Divisive topics work best in groups

I WILL:
    I will use groups to post divisive topics.
    I will be proud of my diversity and respectful of the diversity of our global community.
    I will ask myself if my discussion is relevant only to a particular group, for example, a specific religion or political view, and post that content in an appropriate group.
    I WON'T:
    I won’t post divisive topics in the main forums.
    I won’t exclude any groups when posting in the main forums.
    I won’t post politics in the main forums.
This discussion has been closed.