Elliptical vs Speed Walking Outdoors Question

I normally do a HIIT elliptical session & burn X amount of calories in anywhere from 30-45 minutes. Some days I just don’t want to go indoors & be at the gym (I also lift 2 days a week at the gym) so I go to the state park & do some mixed terrain speed/fast walking from anywhere to an hour to an hour & 1/2; that usually burns (almost) twice the amount of calories (both calorie counts coming from my Fitbit). I know the HIIT elliptical workout leaves me very sweaty & a little out of breathe whereas the outdoor exercise just leaves me sore from the hills etc. On Fitbit the HIIT workout is mostly cardio/peak levels & the outdoor exercise is usually fat burn with some cardio levels reached. My question is, is the outdoor exercise even worth it for helping with weight loss or should I just suck it up & do the HIIT? TIA

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I think you are fine with some challenging walks, but seriously, I doubt that walking is twice the burn of a challenging elliptical workout. It's more important to do what you enjoy and will keep doing.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    If you like hiking/speed walking at the state park, try trail running. You're almost doing it anyway. I'd much rather be out on a trail than on an elliptical.