What else should I do to be considered lightly active?

1a) I walk to school everyday (~1000 steps one way)
1b) walking in between lessons and break usually takes at least 100 steps (so at least 100*5)
c) Unfortunately, I have to sit for 5 hours during lesson times.
d) I can't go to the school gym for now due to some other, important extra curricular activities.

2a) I tend to do a short (15min) exercise routine everyday that consists of:
-65 squats
- 50s elbow plank
- 1min 10s side plank (both sides)
- 40-70 calf raises
- 20 donkey kicks (w/ resistance band)
- 70 side leg raises (w/ resistance band)
- 70 Russian twists (usually done with a 3kg dumbbell; I consider one 'twist' to be a turn and back)
- 4* 20 dumbell exercises (ie, bicep curl, chest pull(?), Etc)
b) Breaks are usually just one day long every 1-2 weeks
c) Sometimes I add other unlisted exercises as well.

3) I try to stand or walk as much as possible, but I'm usually too tired (mostly mentally) to do anything.

4) In a day, I normally take only ~3,000 steps (that's if i don't go shopping/do anything else); and I don't always count walking on the spot.

What else would you recommend?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Your daily activity as described is ‘sedentary’ ~3500 steps.

Your exercise is not counted in your MFP deficit. Log your workout separately, and eat those cals back.

To increase your daily activity up a notch, have a read through this thread.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Your exercise isn't part of your activity setting remember.

Can you replace some car journeys with walking or cycling?

Any stairs you can use?

Can you take a longer walking route sometimes to/from schools?

Being mentally tired after your working day doesn't actually stop you exercising, it just makes motivating yourself to get off the sofa harder. You might find like me the exercise refreshes you mentally too. My favourite stress buster is cycling in beautiful countryside.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    According to Home > Goals > View Guided Setup ...

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    What are you doing in the evenings? I work in an office so I'm sitting on my butt most of the day but I find that when I come home I'm cooking dinner and walking around the house enough to a point that would put me in the lightly active category. I also take my dog for a walk in the evening. Maybe you could just go out for a little walk at night.