Does A “Cheat Day/Meal/Snack” Make Sense?

mithion
mithion Posts: 78 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I’ve read and heard about cheat days and cheat meals and cheat snacks and correct me if I am wrong but it is a mental thing. I love them don’t get me wrong but I always feel like I’m destroying progress and effort for a few minutes of delicious lol.

Is there any truly bad side effects from a cheat day/meal/snack?

I’m guessing if it’s very sugary your insulin spikes or if it’s very high in calories you might feel very tired after.

Are there any actual serious negative health effects from it? Is it like a shock to your system to go from clean eating to bam loads of fat or sugar or carbs all at once etc.

Replies

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    "Cheat meals" can get out of hand, and has a bad connotation like you are getting away with something. The healthier way to frame it in your mind is that you are choosing to eat a little extra today. Either way. Log it and keep going.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Who are you cheating on?
  • mithion
    i eat what i want.

i make it fit in my calorie goals. whether its through eating less somewhere else, going by a weekly deficit, or getting in another work out.

but if im over, its just not the end of the world.

i had 4 oreos tonight. they were good.

Lol only 4?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    mithion wrote: »
    i eat what i want.

i make it fit in my calorie goals. whether its through eating less somewhere else, going by a weekly deficit, or getting in another work out.

but if im over, its just not the end of the world.

i had 4 oreos tonight. they were good.

Lol only 4?

i was good. only 4.

my husband however i think at 1/3 of the entire pack LOLOL
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    edited January 2019
    I lost a total of 64 pounds and now in maintenance because of a cheat day(every Sunday). I don't really call it a cheat day though. I bank 200 calories all week, each day and eat whatever I want on Sunday. I don't fret on Monday when I weigh more because by Wednesday, I am back down to what I was Sunday morning.
    As far as shock to the system, yes. I am so lazy on Sunday night, but I still love my family day and eating out with them.
    Some people can do it this way and it works wonderful. Some can't. You have to decide if you can eat light through the week to get that day.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2019
    "Cheat" is a misplaced term. You really aren't cheating if you keep the promise of healthy eating and regular exercise. Call it a treat not a cheat!

Time and time again many people fail to see that, like a retirement plan, weight loss has to be a long term investment.

Studies have proven that 85% of people who just diet short term will gain back some or all of the weight within a year of stopping the diet.

Having said this, "cheat days" I think are good for you as long as you are in the long term lifestyle change (eat healthy, portion control & exercise)

Don't believe me? Look at Dwayne Johnson's cheat day!!! https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6405457/Dwayne-Rock-Johnson-shocks-fans-cheat-meal-featuring-NINETY-pieces-sushi.html

Okay it's an extreme example (he burns calories in his sleep because of all that muscle) but when you have one cheat day a week and the rest are back to the regular healthy eating and exercise it makes no difference except you are happier!

I myself have a "treat" day once a week. I still track using MFP but I tend not to go overboard and it is a pleasant change and I am usually over my daily caloric limit by 400- 1000 calories! I still end up losing weight because my weight loss goals are long term, slow and steady. 28 lbs in 12 weeks with a treat day every weekend!
  • roachrypt
    roachrypt Posts: 34 Member
    It just depends on your preferences. I, personally, need to have at least one cheat meal a week. It's my "reward" for being good. If I stay in the "green" all week then I'll "treat" myself to one unlogged meal of pure indulgence a week. This is typically some kind of going out to eat event where I don't log anything and I get whatever I want off the menu.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    i don't believe in cheat days or meals because it sounds like I'm doing something bad. I eat what I want, fit into my daily points ( i am lifetime at WW) or my calories and if it's a little too much then I work it off at the gym or eat better at the next meal or next day!!!
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    I feel like it can lead you down a slippery slope. Each time I've decided to do a cheat day, I've ended up "falling off the wagon" so to speak. It really depends on how much self control one has.
  • mithion
    My original question was more from a health standpoint. If I’m eating chicken and veggies and fruits and all healthy food most of the time and then suddenly I inhale half a chocolate cake is that unhealthy? Would that like be a shock to my system?
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I don't cheat. Why would I want to cheat against myself???? That doesn't make any sense!

I do consciously choose how many calories to consume. I balance a higher day with a lower day. It's that simple. Yesterday was appetizers, wings and beer. Today is oatmeal and vegetable soup.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    My original question was more from a health standpoint. If I’m eating chicken and veggies and fruits and all healthy food most of the time and then suddenly I inhale half a chocolate cake is that unhealthy? Would that like be a shock to my system?

If you inhale it, it might clog up your lungs.

Seriously, f you are eating protein and veg most of the time and suddenly flood your system with sugar, you could end up in the bathroom for awhile (or not end up in the bathroom, bowels are funny things, but they generally like a bit of consistency). But it won't do any permanent damage.

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member

Everybody (and every body) is different. Different people respond differently to different situations. I eat out with someone. We can eat the same thing and they end up with tummy issues, when I don't. Another meal it's the other way around because we ate something different. Whatever you decide make sure you still get your base nutrients you normally take in.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019

When I've substantially reduced certain things in my diet (greasy foods, certain sweets) and then have an unusually large indulgence, I usually pay the price. Years ago, I could put away slice after slice of greasy take-out pizza no problem. Now if I have more than a couple of slices, I'm pretty much guaranteed to spend the evening in the bathroom. :( It's not really an issue of nutrition/health, it's just about what your body is accustomed to. Often we see people on here who are feeling ill due to their sudden increase of "healthy" foods.