60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 Yes, my osteopenia probably also was a factor for me in my height loss. As far as muscle loss, I have lost and regained 50+ lbs at least 3 or 4 times over the last 40 years. With each regain I am pretty sure the weight regained was mainly fat, not muscle. So that didn't help. Unlike me, you've been consistently active over the last few decades which I am sure helped you maintain your muscle. When I'm losing weight I've been pretty good about incorporating cardio in my routine but terrible about strength training. Lesson learned here... yo-yo dieting is not good for muscle mass...especially if you aren't doing anything to maintain it as you lose. My next project is to start strength training so I can keep as much muscle as I can and maybe gain some muscle after I get to maintenance. If that's possible at 70 yr old.

An excellent book that inspired me to stay active is "What Makes Olga Run". I've mentioned it before on different MFP forums but the one take-a-way from the book that I found very interesting is that many of the older "elite" athletes at the masters games didn't actually begin being active till they were in their 50's, 60's, and even 70's. You would think that to be a gold medal runner at 80 years of age would indicate that you've probably been a runner all your life. Not so. Because many people who have been in sports all their lives have various nagging injuries that prevent them from the serious training required to compete at this level. So yes, it's possible to make gains at any age!

And yeh, I had been basing my optimal weight on being 5'6. Somewhere along the line I've become 5'5. What the heck?!?!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Yes, my osteopenia probably also was a factor for me in my height loss. As far as muscle loss, I have lost and regained 50+ lbs at least 3 or 4 times over the last 40 years. With each regain I am pretty sure the weight regained was mainly fat, not muscle. So that didn't help. Unlike me, you've been consistently active over the last few decades which I am sure helped you maintain your muscle. When I'm losing weight I've been pretty good about incorporating cardio in my routine but terrible about strength training. Lesson learned here... yo-yo dieting is not good for muscle mass...especially if you aren't doing anything to maintain it as you lose. My next project is to start strength training so I can keep as much muscle as I can and maybe gain some muscle after I get to maintenance. If that's possible at 70 yr old.

An excellent book that inspired me to stay active is "What Makes Olga Run". I've mentioned it before on different MFP forums but the one take-a-way from the book that I found very interesting is that many of the older "elite" athletes at the masters games didn't actually begin being active till they were in their 50's, 60's, and even 70's. You would think that to be a gold medal runner at 80 years of age would indicate that you've probably been a runner all your life. Not so. Because many people who have been in sports all their lives have various nagging injuries that prevent them from the serious training required to compete at this level. So yes, it's possible to make gains at any age!

And yeh, I had been basing my optimal weight on being 5'6. Somewhere along the line I've become 5'5. What the heck?!?!

Thank you @ridiculous59 for this information. It makes me feel hopeful that improvement is indeed possible even for us older people.

And thank you all for your responses. It is a bummer when you've based your goal weight on a certain height and then that suddenly changes (although I know the change in height was gradual not really sudden). But, yeah, what the heck?!?!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options

Thank you @ridiculous59 for this information. It makes me feel hopeful that improvement is indeed possible even for us older people.

And thank you all for your responses. It is a bummer when you've based your goal weight on a certain height and then that suddenly changes (although I know the change in height was gradual not really sudden). But, yeah, what the heck?!?!

Y'know, I wouldn't fret too much about this. We've still got the same basic body configuration (bones, muscles, etc.). It's just a little bit gravitationally compressed. 😆 There's also that common notion that it's healthier to weigh a little more at an older age than at a young one (at the same height), which has a little rationale behind it, though I admit I'm a skeptic about it generally.

In the bigger picture, there's so much change in so many ways, I feel like the best idea is still to set a tentative goal weight, then re-evaluate as that weight approaches, based on how one feels, how one looks, how viable it is to maintain on the associated calories as a practical matter, and more. That's pretty much what I did, and I haven't been sorry, personally.
  • Pdc654
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Yeah, I know your right Ann. I do worry if I lose too much I could look gaunt. I will definitely take it one step at a time.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Yeah, I know your right Ann. I do worry if I lose too much I could look gaunt. I will definitely take it one step at a time.

FWIW, I think I looked a little haggard, maybe gaunt, when I got to goal weight. There was some loose facial skin, and I think some cumulative stress effect from being in a calorie deficit for some months. However, it improved with time, I believe. I may still be thinner than some women would prefer (at our age or any other), but it works for me. (Also, I've recently been systematically asking each of my doctors - I've got so many, at this age! 😆 - if they think I'm too thin, just in case. So far, 3 have been fine, none have been worried.)

I'm confident you'll be able to sort this out when you get there. I'd note that it's possible to get to a weight, decide to lose more, decide that was a mistake, then regain a few pounds if necessary. None of this is a "decide once and stick with it forever", so not much need to stress about it, IMO.
  • Pdc654
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I can fine tune things as I get closer to goal. And you're right, gaining back a few pounds is always an option if it seems right for me.
  • richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Checkin' in. Welcome to all the new people! Congratulations to all those with NSV's. I have read some great posts with awesome victories. For those struggling, hang in there, you got this! Have a great day!
  • valjanuszek4220
    valjanuszek4220 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I’m new to this. I’m 67 and the heaviest I’ve ever been. Lockdown then moving to Scotland and exploring new eateries have helped pile the pounds on. My knees and ankles are arthritic, so I’m not really into exercise. A 20 minute walk is about my limit and I struggle with stairs. I thought MFP might be full of fit young things trying to shift a few pounds, so I’m really happy to have found you all. Any help and tips are very welcome.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hello, ... I thought MFP might be full of fit young things trying to shift a few pounds, so I’m really happy to have found you all...

Hello! Welcome and thanks for the chuckle 😃, we have several fit 'seasoned ones' that post here but most of us have had, or are now, trying to lose a significant amount of weight.

I am one of the 'lost a bunch but still have a significant amount to lose' folk. It's so hard (for me) to keep my head in the game longterm, but with all my slips and slow-go I am still determined to not fully give up ever again but keep plodding along as best I am able. I joined MFP one year ago and what a great decision that was!

I am not knocking those that are here weighing 135 and tackling those 15 lbs to get back to their weight at age 16, kudos to them for never having let the problem grow to the size mine has (🙂), but their journey just does not resonate with me and almost puts me off to be frank as I feel like a monster next to them. I need to lose perhaps as much as 100 lbs (still) and at this pace it will take years most likely - but hey, the years will pass anyways (God willing) so I am striving for better health and fitness now that I'm retired and feel ready to really tackle my weight once and for all (as in new lifestyle not a finish line).

My tip would be to start small, too many changes at once can be self-defeating.
    Diarize everything, start shifting food choices towards those that both satisfy you and help you lose weight, purchase a food scale for accuracy and just focus on eating enjoyment/calorie deficit first.

And check in here often! 😉
  • Pdc654
    Options
    Welcome @ valjaniszek4220
    This is an informative and supportive thread. There are many of us here and throughout the forums that have lost a significant amount of weight. Keep reading and you'll learn so much. I agree with BCLadybug888. Weigh and log every bite. Be consistent and you'll get there.
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    @valjanuszek4220 Welcome! There's quite a variety of people on here so you'll fit right in, where ever you are in your journey.

Between 2013 and 2016 I lost 90 pounds by faithfully logging everything I ate (the good, the bad, and the ugly!). I'd always been fairly active (walking my dog, cross country skiing, skating, etc) so that was never a problem for me, but I did become more disciplined and made sure I did something every day.

And then three years ago, at age 60, I retired. That has been my biggest challenge and I am fighting with about 15 pounds that have crept back. Fighting. Every. Single. Day.

So like I said, there are people at every stage of their weight-loss journey on here. I'm just happy you found us!!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hello, I’m new to this. I’m 67 and the heaviest I’ve ever been. Lockdown then moving to Scotland and exploring new eateries have helped pile the pounds on. My knees and ankles are arthritic, so I’m not really into exercise. A 20 minute walk is about my limit and I struggle with stairs. I thought MFP might be full of fit young things trying to shift a few pounds, so I’m really happy to have found you all. Any help and tips are very welcome.

Welcome and good luck! 🍀

• Pdc654
    Options
    @avatiach It's interesting that you mentioned someone who said she was getting taller. My sister-in-law told me last week she is a half inch taller than she used to be. She is 68, just 2 years younger than me, so I asked her how that could be cause I'm losing height as I get older. She attributed it to yoga.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Welcome to @michaeljoleksak, @valjanuszek4220, and welcome+apologies to any other new folks I may've missed greeting by name! With patient persistence, MFP can take us to some better places, for sure. Myself, I underestimated the quality of life improvement I'd get from reaching a healthy weight - it's been a big deal, for me.

LOL at the "fit young things" comment! Yes, there are some of those here . . . but also a mix of quite unfit young things, fit old things, etc. IMO, we can have more in common with the young'uns than might initially be imagined: Some of the same confusions, obstacles to get around/over/through, habits to change, etc. Sharing information in the Community in general, with all ages, can be helpful.

What we have as an advantage at our age, I think, is a pretty shrewd understanding of our own preferences, strengths and limitations, and how to work within or game them to gradually achieve big goals. We've done that - patient work toward big goals - many times in our lives, maybe to get an education, build a career, make a home, raise a family, plan for retirement, and more. We can use some of those same skills and insights to manage our body weight and improve our fitness.

My big tip is always to focus more on making the process achievable than on making it fast.

Often, getting excess weight off is easier (!) than keeping it off long term, and that puts a premium on figuring out new, relatively happy eating and activity habits that will get us to a healthy weight and improved fitness, but also keep us there nearly on autopilot long term. That "formula" will be a little different for everyone, but we can get ideas to try from other people. It isn't "one size fits all".

Have you been able to access physical therapy (PT) for your arthritis? I got a decent benefit from a course of PT to work on how I could improve my walking and stair-climbing patterns to put less stress on my knees (where there's some arthritis, plus at least one torn meniscus for which I'm deferring surgery as long as possible).

Exactly what to do in that area will differ depending on existing movement patterns, which is why I bring up in-person PT. For quite a few people, strengthening the thigh muscles (quadriceps) is useful, but for me a bigger deal was loosening up some tightness in my hips (via assigned exercises). A key thing - for me - with stairs was that I was letting my front (upstairs) leg do too much of the work when going up, i.e., kind of pulling my weight up with the front leg. Learning to push with the back (downstairs) leg was helpful. But, like I said, that may just be me.

Of course, weight loss itself (50-some pounds in my case) had a huge positive impact on my joint discomfort/pain. It's less frequent, less severe, and less restrictive than it was when I was obese.

For weight loss per se, eating habit changes can do the trick, but the best route there can be quite individual, too. Many people on this thread benefit from low carb, but I just changed proportions of foods I like to hit my calorie goal, didn't need to do a major low carb or other rules-oriented eating regimen. YMMV. Experiment! If something works for you, great; if an experiment doesn't work out, try something else. Just keep going, you'll make progress.

There are also a bunch of YouTube exercise videos for people who have difficulty with walking, like seated yoga, or other seated exercises. Those can help build fitness and burn a few extra calories, too. A search on YouTube will yield lots of options. I like "Bob & Brad" YouTube channel for physical therapy exercises when I can't go to an in-person physical therapist, too. They're physical therapists of long experience, with lots of useful videos. I don't much like their diet advice (which is outside their scope of practice anyway), but that's a small fraction of their content.

Another thing that helps many people with walking issues is water-based exercise, if you have access to a pool or even lake. The water supports part of our body weight, so even walking in water is less joint-stressful than on land . . . but not necessarily easy in other ways. Gradual increases, keeping just a manageable challenge to current fitness level - I think that's a great route. It's what I did when I was first getting active after cancer treatment, and now I probably am more on the fitter side for our demographic, after working that "gradual improvement" route for a long time.

You don't need to fix everything at once, just pick one thread in the tangle to pull on, to start. You can do this!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @ridiculous59: I just wanted to mention that I've signed up for one of those community-event dragon boat races in September.

This is the kind of thing where an organization brings in the boats and equipment, and provides a rudder person (is that what you call it?). Local groups form up teams of paddlers/drummers/flag people, and usually have a day of practice then race day in heats. Some local nonprofit is the sponsor, gets volunteers to help with needed tasks, then benefits from profits after the boat-bringers are paid. Some of my rower buddies are on the team, which is affiliated with a local women's center (but men are allowed on the team, too).

I'm looking forward to it - should be fun!

I've paddled a dragon boat once only, when our rowing club was the sponsor, just to help bring boats from the put-in to the race location. However, I have a good bit of canoeing background in my younger years, so I hope that will be helpful. 🙂
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @ridiculous59: I just wanted to mention that I've signed up for one of those community-event dragon boat races in September.

This is the kind of thing where an organization brings in the boats and equipment, and provides a rudder person (is that what you call it?). Local groups form up teams of paddlers/drummers/flag people, and usually have a day of practice then race day in heats. Some local nonprofit is the sponsor, gets volunteers to help with needed tasks, then benefits from profits after the boat-bringers are paid. Some of my rower buddies are on the team, which is affiliated with a local women's center (but men are allowed on the team, too).

I'm looking forward to it - should be fun!

I've paddled a dragon boat once only, when our rowing club was the sponsor, just to help bring boats from the put-in to the race location. However, I have a good bit of canoeing background in my younger years, so I hope that will be helpful. 🙂

That sounds like fun! We call the "rudder person" a steersperson. It's quite a different stroke to a canoe one so maybe watch some YouTube videos beforehand.....but don't be intimidated by the videos from world class competitions. That's not how most of us roll 😆
  • ridiculous59
    Options
    I just read an article on the CBC News about a person who is the oldest woman to climb K2. She's 62 and didn't take up mountain climbing till she was 50.

I have no desire to take up mountain climbing....but stories like this inspire me to not let my age define what I can and can't do. Or worse, what I should and shouldn't do. There are a couple of things on my bucket list that I need to either delete, or get serious about doing!