Breatherarianism...what in the actual *kitten*

I came across this in my internetting the other day. After some research, it seems like there are actual people in this world who think humans can live off air and light. Like a plant. Except plants need water. So, like a rock I guess except rocks aren't living.

Seriously?

Replies

• This *kitten* HAS to be a mental illness. An eating disorder paired with delusions of grandeur or something.

What makes me legitimately angry is that there are people who have died trying this nonsense who probably just needed some counseling.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    I don't have time to look for the video, but my fiancé stumbled across this on YouTube a few months ago. He told me about a couple of crazy videos and I went looking. Eventually I found one where a reporter challenged a woman who claimed she hadn't eaten in years. He put cameras around her house (with her knowledge) and followed her around to make sure she hadn't eaten. After a few days, she was weak, lethargic, and had lost 14 lb (of water weight). I'm not sure if it is a mental illness or just a symptom of an attention seeking mental illness, but I do think they, themselves, are aware that they are eating off camera.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    No, they DON'T actually believe it. These people are actually con men (and women) who are looking to make a buck from peddling this bs. There have been quite a few of these people who have written books and have given seminars, but when they have been tested, as in being locked in a room and given no food or water for a weak they were on the verge of collapse.

Also what is funny, when camera crews went to the homes of these people, they had refrigerators filled with food. They claimed it was for when guests came over. Coffee machines, blenders, toasters, microwaves...hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.