Running resolutions- best race to travel to

So I am usually a DMVa runner. This year, I would love to travel to a run. What is your favorite? Why?

Is there beer at the end? Do you get an awesome shirt?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    There's one on this weekend. Fortunately, no beer or shirts ... but there's chocolate. :)
  • IThinkICan_Dejay
    IThinkICan_Dejay Posts: 17 Member
    Choose a destination that excites you. I'm not a fan of crowds or big cities and have no interest in the big races like NYC or Marine Core, but lots of people think they are great. Their is a marathon in a small town in Alaska (Cordova) that has always fascinated me and I'm going to run some day. I've never been to Alaska and this will be my reason for going. What excites you!

I can buy my own beer and I have plenty of t-shirts.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2019
    I do very few races at home. Nearly all of my events are travel.

The one I did last year that was an amazing experience was the RnR half marathon on the Vegas strip. I have never had more fun, better surroundings, Elvis crowd cheerers, people in showgirls costumes, etc. You run by every single Vegas landmark, at night so it’s all lit up. It really was the most fun I’ve ever had at a race. I had intended to run it for fun, but that ended up being a 6 minute PR -even after enjoying everything else that Vegas has to offer for the prior 2 days.

It’s done in waves so if you’re looking to finish in probably 1:40 or less, you’ll be in an earlier wave with others intending to race that a similar pace and probably fewer people in showgirl costumes (it’s a flat course so I could see it being a draw for people looking to PR).

The company does a fantastic job controlling crowds and I can’t say enough good things about it. I will do this event again. And I’m looking at my next full marathon to be the RnR race in New Orleans.

You can do a 5k the night before and get 3 medals total.

And to sum up the Vegas experience...there’s a giant Ferris wheel (that’s a rotating bar) in the middle of the strip. After the 5k, on the way back to the hotel, we stopped to have a round on the Ferris wheel. I was in full neon running attire (complete with race bib) and there was another lady in our “pod” in her wedding dress.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

The one I did last year that was an amazing experience was the RnR half marathon on the Vegas strip. I have never had more fun, better surroundings, Elvis crowd cheerers, people in showgirls costumes, etc. You run by every single Vegas landmark, at night so it’s all lit up. It really was the most fun I’ve ever had at a race. I had intended to run it for fun, but that ended up being a 6 minute PR -even after enjoying everything else that Vegas has to offer for the prior 2 days.

It’s done in waves so if you’re looking to finish in probably 1:40 or less, you’ll be in an earlier wave with others intending to race that a similar pace and probably fewer people in showgirl costumes (it’s a flat course so I could see it being a draw for people looking to PR).

The company does a fantastic job controlling crowds and I can’t say enough good things about it. I will do this event again. And I’m looking at my next full marathon to be the RnR race in New Orleans.

And to sum up the Vegas experience...there’s a giant Ferris wheel (that’s a rotating bar) in the middle of the strip. After the 5k, on the way back to the hotel, we stopped to have a round on the Ferris wheel. I was in full neon running attire (complete with race bib) and there was another lady in our “pod” in her wedding dress.

Are you doing New Orleans next month? I'm doing that one too, it's my first trip to New Orleans and I'm very excited!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Choose a destination that excites you. I'm not a fan of crowds or big cities and have no interest in the big races like NYC or Marine Core, but lots of people think they are great. Their is a marathon in a small town in Alaska (Cordova) that has always fascinated me and I'm going to run some day. I've never been to Alaska and this will be my reason for going. What excites you!

I can buy my own beer and I have plenty of t-shirts.

I second this. While not races, other highlights of my traveling runs last year included a sunrise run around the Grand Canyon, running down Rt 66, as well as few other incredibly beautiful places in AZ/Utah.

I also ran around a lake in MN (that was a race), and through one of those drive through Xmas light displays in MA (that was a race).

This year I’m registered for a half marathon in Banff (Canada). I chose the half (instead of 10k) because it’s so incredibly gorgeous and I want to see as much as I can.

On my to-do list-Buffalo run (in Utah).

There is NOTHING this cool in my own home state lol.

• Duck_Puddle

Are you doing New Orleans next month? I'm doing that one too, it's my first trip to New Orleans and I'm very excited!

I am planning for 2020. It will be my first trip to New Orleans too!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i travelled out to the olympic pennisula.
    they have a 5k-marathon.
    reasonable prices.
    nice shirt
    beer and food trucks after
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Depends on how far you want to travel and what your target distance is.

I used to live in Durham and I run distances up to the half marathon. Here are some of the half marathons I've run:
    - Asheville Half Marathon. Asheville! If you haven't been there, go. But be warned that the course is tough if you're not used to hills. Take the elevation chart seriously. See that big hill at mile 10? See how it's all uphill to the finish line? This was my first half marathon and it kicked my butt. But Asheville really is great, and it's a good challenge.
    - Hokie Half Marathon. This was a big deal for me because I'm a VT alum. Much of the course is on the Huckleberry Trail, which is lovely. The last mile or so is uphill. You get a Hokie Bird medal, which you'll love if you have a VT connection. I can also speak to various shorter races in Blacksburg, since I was there every chance I got.
    - Highland Half Marathon. Tiny race, made even tinier the year I ran it because it rained and a lot of people didn't show up. If you hate big races, this is the one for you. The course is mostly flat. Check out the Scottish Festival after the race, though I didn't do that, because I was soaked. Visit the Smokies while you're in the area.
    - Running of the Bulls 8k. Yes, a shorter distance. You're gonna PR it just because of the odd distance--how often do you see an 8k race? Nice, not too difficult course through downtown Durham. You end in the original Durham Bulls park and get a cowbell medal. Check out the farmer's market next door when you're done, until you get sick of hearing everyone's cowbells clanking. Lots of good food and stuff to do in the Triangle as well.

If you *really* want to travel:
    - Monterey Bay Half Marathon. Let's face it, it's gorgeous out here. Most of the course is right on the ocean. It's beautiful, it's mostly flat, it's well organized. There are all sorts of things to do in the area as well. I'm biased because this is my local half. If you want a longer distance, check out the Big Sur Marathon and associated races, which is on different course. Big Sur is on a lot of people's bucket lists.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    I love ashville! Great idea.

• apullum
    I love ashville! Great idea.

Asheville also checks my “prettiest race shirt” box. Mine’s nasty and stained now, but I still wear it. We also got a buff the year I ran it, and a pretty nice drawstring bag that was sturdier than the usual swag bag. And I got a free, beautiful race poster at the expo. I framed it and put it in my office so I have a nice memento of my first half. Overall, best race swag I’ve gotten by far.

The course support was also better than any race I’ve run since. Being my first half, I only made it to about mile 9 before I had to walk, and then I run/walked (mostly walked) the rest of the way. We had support folks on bicycles checking on us constantly, offering us water and snacks. They did a great job of watching out for those of us who were struggling. I’m on the west coast now, but I’d love to run Asheville again and see how much I’ve improved.

Keep in mind that this isn’t the same race as the one at the Biltmore. I don’t know anything about that one.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i travelled out to the olympic pennisula.
    they have a 5k-marathon.
    reasonable prices.
    nice shirt
    beer and food trucks after

North Olympic Discovery Marathon? It's beautiful!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Yep ... I can confirm that the Cadbury Marathon is a good one. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    - Hokie Half Marathon. This was a big deal for me because I'm a VT alum. Much of the course is on the Huckleberry Trail, which is lovely. The last mile or so is uphill. You get a Hokie Bird medal, which you'll love if you have a VT connection. I can also speak to various shorter races in Blacksburg, since I was there every chance I got.

Go Hokie’s! I was Class if 2005!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited January 2019
    Not beer, but if you like wine (and don't mind coming to Canada). And it's just a half.

http://destinationraces.com/runbc/registration/
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I’ve heard the Detroit marathon that crosses the tunnel into Canada is fun but never done it
  • apullum
    apullum wrote: »

Go Hokie’s! I was Class if 2005!

No way, so was I! I majored in biology and interdisciplinary studies.
  • LWlazer
    LWlazer Posts: 11 Member
    Bucket of Blood Half Marathon,Holbrook Arizona. Run in the desert and town streets Just outside of an indian reservation with a nice little town festival after the race.
  • albryce744
    albryce744 Posts: 22 Member
    Hudepohl 7 & 14k, in cinci in the fall. Cinci is a fun town , worth visiting, . Put on by the people that run the flying pig. (another fun race in May) now that I look, we have a whole beer series. Bahahaha. We do like beer. Runbeerseries.com
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    I did the WhistleStop Half in Ashland WI this past October. The city is on Lake Superior. It was a beautiful hard packed trail run. It was like running on the road without cars. I was offered beer at miles 9 and 12 by college students. There was a nice spaghetti dinner the night before.

I ran through a forest with colorful leaves falling in front of me. This alone would have me repeat it.

The volunteer support was terrific and there were tables every 2 to 3 miles. No hills. The marathon is a BQ marathon.