What Should I Choose For Activity Level?

mithion
mithion Posts: 78 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Over a 20 Day Period
Average Calories Consumed Per Day- 2,112
Average Calories Burned From Exercise Per Day- 499
Average Steps Per Day- 11,471
Average Time Exercising Per Day- 34.6 minutes

How do these numbers look in regards to what I should choose as my MFP Activity Level?

The choices are kind of vague IMO. Are these numbers Lightly Active or Active? Obviously not Sedentary and I don’t think quite Very Active so...?

Replies

• Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    Active
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    MFP's activity setting doesn't include purposeful exercise.

how many steps do you get in a day, outside of exercise?
  • Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    mithion wrote: »

How do these numbers look in regards to what I should choose as my MFP Activity Level?

The choices are kind of vague IMO. Are these numbers Lightly Active or Active? Obviously not Sedentary and I don’t think quite Very Active so...?

Though the purpose of asking here is about your working style, say you have a sitting job, or moving job, or standing one..
    Exercise is not associated with your activity level
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    Activity level has to do with what you do all day, not the actual exercise you get. Unless you fit within one of the categories below, set yourself as sedentary, log the exercise separately, and eat back half your exercise calories.

According to Home > Goals > View Guided Setup ...

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Active.
    And remember activity setting doesn't account for your exercise.

One caveat though - does your high step count include steps from purposeful exercise?
  • Machka9

Also, three questions:

1) How on earth are you burning 499 calories a day doing 34.6 minutes of exercise? Are you running up stairs for 34.6 minutes?

2) How on earth is 11,471 steps taking you only 34.6 minutes? Are you a track sprinter?

3) What are you doing during the remaining 23 hours and 25.4 minutes each day?
  • mithion
    edited January 2019
    The steps are all just from walking. I have step counter turned on and synced with my iPhone. I add all of my exercise individuality after I complete it. MFP tracks my steps and counts them as calories burned and makes that adjustment. So I should set that question as Active?
  • Machka9
    The steps are all just from walking. I have step counter turned on and synced with my iPhone. I add all of my exercise individuality after I compete it. MFP tracks my steps and counts them as calories burned and makes that adjustment. So I should set that question as Active?

So you've got an active job then?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The steps are all just from walking. I have step counter turned on and synced with my iPhone. I add all of my exercise individuality after I complete it. MFP tracks my steps and counts them as calories burned and makes that adjustment. So I should set that question as Active?

Yes in simple terms you are active.
    But if you are getting a calorie adjustment for those steps I'm not sure that changing your activity setting will do anything except make the size of that adjustment bigger or smaller.

Sorry I don't sync a step tracker so not sure of your specifics.
  • mithion
    I follow a 90 Day body weight fitness program. I do at least 50 burpees a day. Some days I inline skate, some days I run, some days jumping jacks. That 499 per day is an average from 20 days.
  • mithion
    Remember all of those numbers are an average from a 20 day period. Some days I barely break 10k steps, some days I get 17k. Some days I exercise maybe 15min while others I get closer to 60min. That’s why I made averages for all of that, I figured it would be more accurate to my overall levels instead of just individual days.
  • Machka9
    Remember all of those numbers are an average from a 20 day period. Some days I barely break 10k steps, some days I get 17k. Some days I exercise maybe 15min while others I get closer to 60min. That’s why I made averages for all of that, I figured it would be more accurate to my overall levels instead of just individual days.

Ok but do you work at an active job?
  • mithion
    edited January 2019
    I am on my feet pretty much all day at work, I purposely park far away and use the stairs etc.
  • meems251
    meems251 Posts: 84 Member
    If you are losing at a rate faster than expected, up your activity level. If you are losing right on target, dont change it. If you are losing slower than expected, lower it or eat less exercise calories. Activity level is really just a guess. You have to have to use your own data to decide where to set it.
  • mithion
    edited January 2019
    meems251 wrote: »
    If you are losing at a rate faster than expected, up your activity level. If you are losing right on target, dont change it. If you are losing slower than expected, lower it or eat less exercise calories. Activity level is really just a guess. You have to have to use your own data to decide where to set it.

I hear you. BTW @meems251 your thumbnail pic is freaking spectacular!!!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Do not count exercise. It's all about your job. Active would be a construction worker or a mail carrier who walks his route. Desk job would be sedentary
  • mithion
    So I am active duty Navy and while I was on a ship my daily steps just from work would reach over 26K some days. I'd day on average my steps just from work were about 12K-15K per day. I am waiting to start a new position not on a ship and don't know what my daily activity will be like just yet. I guess I will have to give it a week or two at the new job and see what my daily steps are like just from working.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2019
    The way MFP is set up, you set your activity level based on your general activity level outside of purposeful, logged exercise. Over the past 90 days, I exercised an average of 70 minutes a day, burning 700 cal/day and getting about 15,000 steps/day, as an avid runner. The rest of the day I'm working in an office, so I set my activity level to sedentary and log the exercise.

Another approach is to set your activity level based on typical activity including exercise and not log exercise calories (the TDEE method). MFP isn't set up from this perspective, but it's easy enough to make the tool work for this approach.

If you set your activity level based on exercise and also log that exercise in MFP, you are double counting. If you have a step counter connected to MFP which adjusts your calorie goal, it may correct for this, but I'm not 100% sure how well it would since I don't use this feature.