Right shoe size/brand-confusion

Options
Hello everyone,
This may sound stupid. I wear nike runner shoes for my workout. However, whenever i do planks or plank jack, my shoes start coming off. I tried tying them tightly, but it didn't help. Is this normal or am i wearing wrong shoe size (but it is highly unlikely that i am wearing wrong shoe size) or i should try different brand? I also have small ankle injury . My gym mates suggested me asics. What ya'all think?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's not normal for your shoes to slip off when you're doing planks...
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Sounds like the wrong size. They shouldn’t be slipping off. Maybe go try on a size (or half a size down) in the store and do some planks to see if changing sizes solves the problem.

I can’t imagine why it would be the brand but I do love my ASICS if you decide to switch brands :) I just use them for running though, not my strength training.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to lace and tie shoes based on the problem you're trying to solve.
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/lacing-running-shoes.html

The shoe that works best for your friend might be totally wrong for you, especially with your injury. You can go to a running store and get a professional analysis and fit for free.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes are slightly to big.

My mom had me wearing size 9 when I was in high school and that’s what I bought for years thinking it was my size. A couple years ago I actually went to a shoe store to get shoes fitted for running and it turned out I should actually be wearing 8.5. So I was wearing the wrong size for years.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My heels are very narrow, so I could see this happening. For me, it also makes a difference in long walks, as my heel will slip and I will get blisters, even thought the shoe is the right length and width for everything else. Brand makes a huge difference. For me, Merrell's and Easy Spirit almost always work, New Balance often works.

But I do planks on my yoga mat, so barefoot. And outside the house, I pretty much live in Merrell's Trail Glove 4. I have a pair for everyday, a pair for the boat, and I just bought two new pairs because they are on sale at REI and my everyday pair is almost worn out.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's not normal, and is probably a sizing/fit issue. Lacing them differently could help.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the same shoes for running/walking as you do for weights or a mat workout?

I have different shoes for when I am in the gym, close fitting and flat so my feet are as stable as can be.
    For walking, I don’t run, my shoes are well fitting, but with room for expansion as my feet warm and swell a little.

They are not interchangeable.

Cheers, h.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a brand of shoes just because someone else likes it. Your feet are not their feet.

Try tying with a lace lock: https://vitals.lifehacker.com/prevent-running-shoe-blisters-with-a-lace-lock-1685672535

Depending on what else you do at the gym, you might prefer nonskid workout socks over shoes.