Is the emphasis on protein over-hyped?

Options
Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
I heard we should eat 1/3 of our weight (pounds) of protein in grams a day. I am eating either just at that amount or below with a protein shake. There are people that eat 100+ grams but is it really necessary?

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How much depends on your goals, really, but protein in and of itself is important regardless of whether you’re gaining, losing or maintaining. If your looking to gain muscle then many people take in .8-1g per pound of body weight or more. It’s definitely important for maintaining muscle in a deficit as well. I get over 100g a day without really trying. Outside of the benefits of maintaining or growing muscle, protein is also essential for healthy hair, nails, bones, skin, helps heal injuries quickly and has even been shown in some cases to reduce blood pressure.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have never heard the 1/3 of your weight thing. Always heard 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass. Where is the 1/3 of your body weight idea from?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    How much depends on your goals, really, but protein in and of itself is important regardless of whether you’re gaining, losing or maintaining. If your looking to gain muscle then many people take in .8-1g per pound of body weight or more. It’s definitely important for maintaining muscle in a deficit as well. I get over 100g a day without really trying. Outside of the benefits of maintaining or growing muscle, protein is also essential for healthy hair, nails, bones, skin, helps heal injuries quickly and has even been shown in some cases to reduce blood pressure.

It's actually per kilogram, not pound. It works out to .36 x how many pounds you weigh (RDA recommended formula).

ETA here's a calculator you can use to figure it out https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/

but it should be noted that the RDA is for bare minimim intake and if you workout/exercise frequently, then an increase in protein will help with maintaining lean muscle

additionally, in a caloric deficit, research has indicated that an increase in protein will help in maintaining muscle (especially as the deficit is increased)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It's actually per kilogram, not pound. It works out to .36 x how many pounds you weigh (RDA recommended formula).

ETA here's a calculator you can use to figure it out https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/

The RDA is the minimum for health and avoiding protein deficiency.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

but it should be noted that the RDA is for bare minimim intake and if you workout/exercise frequently, then an increase in protein will help with maintaining lean muscle

additionally, in a caloric deficit, research has indicated that an increase in protein will help in maintaining muscle (especially as the deficit is increased)

Yes, if someone is more active then they should adjust accordingly. For me personally, being fairly sedentary during the winter months, I don't worry about getting in a higher amount than what the RDA calculator puts me at.
  • ragsibobs
    ragsibobs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read @lemurcat2
    I’ve been reading up on protein recommendations today because I want to lose fat but still keep as much of my muscle mass as possible (ideally all of it). I have never cared before about my macros and have been happy as long as I lose weight. This time it’s slightly different. I’ve started rowing and do this competitively (not too seriously) and I train HIIT at the gym and run to support my rowing and to keep fit. Now I’ve started thinking that I might need to consider my macros so that I don’t lose muscle - I need the muscle to perform well in training and competitions. Currently I’m eating 70-100g of protein a day, so a little bit on the low side from what I’ve been reading for my weight/gender.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I guess I didn’t place enough emphasis on the “if you’re looking to gain muscle” part of what I said. I am aware of what the minimum requirements are, but they are often not optimal for muscle growth or maintaining in a deficit, so it is usually recommended that people doing either of those things take in more. .8-1g per pound of body weight is the most common recommendation I’ve seen, with some people even recommending intake as high as 1.2-1.5g per pound for males or more experienced athletic types.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Just noticed I missed a whole bunch of other earlier posts that appeared when I was drafting that long post. That's why I repeated some stuff that had already been said. Oops.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Latest & most thorough info I've seen: 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day is optimum, assuming weightlifting:

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2017/07/protein-08gkg-insufficient-for-female.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28698222

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/well/move/lift-weights-eat-more-protein-especially-if-youre-over-40.html

For example: me, at about 170 lbs = about 130g protein/day.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. If someone is sedentary and just trying to lose weight, aiming for optimal bodybuilding levels isn't necessary at all. But for someone like myself, it is very important. In general I aim for minimum 1g per lb bodyweight, which is around 130g and higher in a deficit (around 140-160g). Is that overkill? Maybe, but it helps keep me full and feeling good. Also basing meals around protein helps me make better eating choices overall and I have obtained significant body composition results, so I am going to stick to whatever I am doing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Your body can make carbs / glucose (from protein or the glycerol component of triglycerides after it is uncoupled).

Your body can make fat (except you still need a particular type of fat that can be obtained by taking fish oil).

Your body can only make protein / lean tissue from whole proteins. Except for certain essential fatty acids, protein is the only truly essential macro-nutrient for consumption.