Budget

Options
Hi all. I am looking for some budget friendly foods/meals. Feel free to throw any ideas at me. Thanks!

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Beans, rice and eggs, potatoes, oatmeal are inexpensive.

Buy larger portions of protein and cut yourself or out into smaller packages and freeze.

Buy whatever produce is on sale and use it all. Freeze any leftover bits for soup later.

I live alone so it's easy for me. Tonight's dinner for me was cheap - cubed pan fried potato, fresh green beans, all sprinkled with sharp cheddar. I could have added an egg or other protein, but that was too much work lol

Are you looking to feed a family or just your self?
  • marysimms75
    marysimms75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is sweet potato better
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Is sweet potato better

"Better" is highly subjective. You would have to evaluate it based on how you're eating now whether it's "better". Personally I do away with "better" thinking.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just tried this one, and it was really good:
    https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/fantastic-taco-casserole-155186

I omitted the chips at the bottom of mine (in favor of being able to sprinkle them on top and to have some on the side), and added some fresh jalapeno. This can also be used as a taco meat base, with as few or as many additional toppings of your choosing being added on.

I got about 6 servings out of this, for the portion sizes I wanted.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes.com is my go to site for cheap meals. I also like platejoy.com for planning
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly food budget? What are some costs of items in your area? Throw out some details and maybe we can help you make it work. Are you feeding a family or just yourself on that budget? We would need to know some more details to help you.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I second potatoes. Cheap, highly nutritious and works with so many other foods. For example, when my fam had spaghetti and meatballs sauce, I have potatoes and meat sauce.