why are these fava beans so low in protein?

Options
I bought the Goya frozen fava beans this week after seeing them in the store, assuming they had around 12g of protein per serving because a) dried fava beans do, and b) the store used to have another brand of frozen fava beans with that level of protein. Today I ate some and added it on MFP and saw that they only have 1g of protein per serving! The serving size is smaller than a typical serving size of fava beans, but not that small. How is it possible that they are so low in protein? Is it a different developmental stage of fava beans that is picked for freezing or something? Honestly it pisses me off because I would not have bought them if I realized this. Even frozen peas have around 8g of protein per serving.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The MFP database is user-sourced and may not be accurate. Is there a nutrition label on the package you bought?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Did you get this info off of the package? If not, it probably isn't right and you probably picked a bad entry.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Did you get this info off of the package? If not, it probably isn't right and you probably picked a bad entry.
    The MFP database is user-sourced and may not be accurate. Is there a nutrition label on the package you bought?

Yes it is from the package.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Yes it is from the package.

I'm confused. In your first post, you said that the MFP database says they have 1g of protein per serving. Here you say that the package says they have 1g of protein per serving.

Does it say 1g of protein per serving on both the MFP database and the fava bean package? Or just one or the other?

Regardless, I think there's a mistake on something you're looking at. Unless you're talking about a tiny amount of fava beans, they shouldn't have that little protein. It's possible that the nutrition label was misprinted and someone entered that into the database.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm confused. In your first post, you said that the MFP database says they have 1g of protein per serving. Here you say that the package says they have 1g of protein per serving.

Does it say 1g of protein per serving on both the MFP database and the fava bean package? Or just one or the other?

Regardless, I think there's a mistake on something you're looking at. Unless you're talking about a tiny amount of fava beans, they shouldn't have that little protein. It's possible that the nutrition label was misprinted and someone entered that into the database.

It says the same thing on the package and the MFP database. The serving size is 1/4 cup which is 60 calories. The total calorie count adds up to the number of macros on the nutrition facts so I don't think it's a misprint either. If I look up the nutrition of fava beans on Google it says a 1-cup serving has 111 calories and 10g of protein.