Multiple marathons (AKA, "major races") in 2019

2»

Replies

• tiarev
    tiarev Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2019
    I’m signed up for the Sun Mountain 50 miler and the Wyeast Howl 50k so far this year
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    tiarev wrote: »
    I’m signed up for the Sun Mountain 50 miler and the Wyeast Howl 50k so far this year

Fun! Have you done either of those before? I have the Wyeast Howl on my list of races I want to do. Probably not until 2021 though.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    I'll add mine, my goal is to run at least one half marathon this year. I haven't done a half since June 2016 due to multiple injuries and a serious lack of motivation. I just started running again after another long break due to a stress fracture in my foot. I'd like to run either the Charlevoix half in June or the Holland Park2Park half in September (or maybe both!).
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    I’ve never run a marathon.

However this year my goal is a 10 miler on March 17th, and a half The Love Run on March 31st. After that at least 2 north half’s and then a full.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I don't do fulls, but I'm now signed up for three halfs for this year -- Disney Princess in 39 days (eek!), Pittsburgh in May, and then RIchmond Crawlin Crab in early October.

For the first two, goals are simply to try to do better than I did last year. I hit 50th percentile last year for Disney, and I think I can do it again. Gonna try, at least. For the third, I'd love to try to crack 20th (I'm slow as dirt, so this would be a massive improvement), but we'll see.

Unlike last year, this year I will *not* be stupid and race 27.2 miles in six weeks, with only two weeks between each race. Loved the finishers medals, but I'm not putting my legs through that again.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I ran my first marathon last year, around a year after starting to run and about 2.5years after starting to lose weight after hitting 21stone and being unable to walk across the room.
    This year I'll be running 2 marathons 2 weeks apart,
    Brighton on 14th April (which I'll be doing alone trying to beat my time from last year) and
    London on 28th April (which I'm running with a friend and am doing for the experience)

I'm also running at least 4 (and maybe 5) half marathons, a ten miler, several 10ks and a 5mile race.

I've kept my mileage up since my last race of last year (10miles) and got up to 15miles for my long run on Sunday. Next long run drops down to 14miles and then the week after I'm up to 16
  • BrindleRun
    BrindleRun Posts: 28 Member
    I’m planning on running the Pittsburgh marathon in May and the Cook Forest 26K trail run in August.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited January 2019
    Here is my ambious plan for 2019 (so far). I am registered for everything except the mittens challenge. If I can make it through the Miami marathon without getting injured, I am signing up for mittens (my last marathon put me in a boot for a month due to a foot injury).

Upcoming Races:
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half
    4/6/19 = Wanderlust half
    5/4/19 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/19 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Here is my ambious plan for 2019 (so far). I am registered for everything except the mittens challenge. If I can make it through the Miami marathon without getting injured, I am signing up for mittens (my last marathon put me in a boot for a month due to a foot injury).

Upcoming Races:
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half
    4/6/19 = Wanderlust half
    5/4/19 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/19 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)

Wow, this sounds like a really fun schedule! Back-to-back marathons, that's amazing!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I am scheduled for 2 World Major marathons this year, Boston and Chicago. It's funny, but I didn't actually think about that until I saw the title of your thread and thought that's what you were referring to. I will also do some shorter races this year, but I don't have my schedule completely planned out yet. I have never done more than two marathons in a calendar year.

With regards to your original post and burn out, I usually only suffer burnout when I have been training hard. I usually take about 4-6 weeks of down time (low volume, easy running and mostly strength training and cross training) after a marathon. But I have run a marathon with a friend at a slower than normal pace and minimal training and I did not need too much time for recovery. I think if you give it an all out effort, you should expect some burnout and need for recovery, but if you race easy, it may not be so bad. For your October/ December marathons, you may want to choose one to take at an easy pace and just enjoy the experience of it. The marathon that I ran with a friend was one of the funnest marathon experiences I had because I had put no pressure on myself and just enjoyed everything there was to offer along the course. Much of that was things I had missed when I ran that same race with a time goal.

happy 40 and good luck with your races!
  • janejellyroll
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am scheduled for 2 World Major marathons this year, Boston and Chicago. It's funny, but I didn't actually think about that until I saw the title of your thread and thought that's what you were referring to. I will also do some shorter races this year, but I don't have my schedule completely planned out yet. I have never done more than two marathons in a calendar year.

With regards to your original post and burn out, I usually only suffer burnout when I have been training hard. I usually take about 4-6 weeks of down time (low volume, easy running and mostly strength training and cross training) after a marathon. But I have run a marathon with a friend at a slower than normal pace and minimal training and I did not need too much time for recovery. I think if you give it an all out effort, you should expect some burnout and need for recovery, but if you race easy, it may not be so bad. For your October/ December marathons, you may want to choose one to take at an easy pace and just enjoy the experience of it. The marathon that I ran with a friend was one of the funnest marathon experiences I had because I had put no pressure on myself and just enjoyed everything there was to offer along the course. Much of that was things I had missed when I ran that same race with a time goal.

happy 40 and good luck with your races!

Thanks for the input. I had already thought about doing the December marathon as a more "fun" one (since I'll be traveling for it and seeing family too) and your advice confirms that would be a good idea.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    @janejellyroll How’s the running going? Did I read, you had a marathon in February? How’d that go? 😊
  • janejellyroll
    @janejellyroll How’s the running going? Did I read, you had a marathon in February? How’d that go? 😊

Yes, I did a marathon in New Orleans last month. It was really fun! I ran with my brother and made the mistake of trying to match his pace for the first 9 or so miles (he's faster than me), so I was a bit slower towards the end than I would have liked. But it was still a really good race.

I have a 10 mile this weekend, but prep for the next marathon doesn't start until summer so I'm just enjoying running now that there isn't snow all over the ground.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    I'm actually planning on many half marathons this year!

April 6 - Parkinson's Half
    May 4 - Wisconsin Marathon (the Half)
    Memorial Day Weekend - Conquer the Capital - 10K Saturday night and the Half Marathon the next morning
    July 21 - Her Madison Half
    Loony Challenge at Twin Cities - 10K and 5K on Saturday and the 10 miler on Sunday
    Madison Half Marathon

Here is the thing....I swore off marathons. BUT...I'm not sure this year. I'd like to maybe go for #3 (after having a disastrous time at Madison in 2016). I just need something to push me over the edge.