Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

This has how many calories? Rubbish nutritional information

yirarayirara Posts: 3,626Member Member Posts: 3,626Member Member
Today I saw that some kind of Asian instant noodles were on offer at my local supermarket. Knowing these things usually have an awful lot of calories I looked at the nutritional information and found:

100ml = 60kcal

Hmm... These are noodles, not a soup. Ok. Then I looked for further information.

Add 360ml of boiling water to product.

Right, so if I assume they man 60kcal * 3.6, then the whole thing would have 216kcal, which is highly unlikely as those things tend to be at around the 500kcal mark. Liquefy the noodles and measure everything in ml? But how do I liquefy noodles? Makes no sense at all. I left them there.

Did you ever find odd calorie information that makes no sense at all?

Replies

  • ladyreva78ladyreva78 Posts: 3,611Member Member Posts: 3,611Member Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Today I saw that some kind of Asian instant noodles were on offer at my local supermarket. Knowing these things usually have an awful lot of calories I looked at the nutritional information and found:

    100ml = 60kcal

    Hmm... These are noodles, not a soup. Ok. Then I looked for further information.

    Add 360ml of boiling water to product.

    Right, so if I assume they man 60kcal * 3.6, then the whole thing would have 216kcal, which is highly unlikely as those things tend to be at around the 500kcal mark. Liquefy the noodles and measure everything in ml? But how do I liquefy noodles? Makes no sense at all. I left them there.

    Did you ever find odd calorie information that makes no sense at all?

    You forgot to account for the volume of the noodles themselves. You're only counting the water + spices + whatever oil mix they used. :wink:
  • yirarayirara Posts: 3,626Member Member Posts: 3,626Member Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Today I saw that some kind of Asian instant noodles were on offer at my local supermarket. Knowing these things usually have an awful lot of calories I looked at the nutritional information and found:

    100ml = 60kcal

    Hmm... These are noodles, not a soup. Ok. Then I looked for further information.

    Add 360ml of boiling water to product.

    Right, so if I assume they man 60kcal * 3.6, then the whole thing would have 216kcal, which is highly unlikely as those things tend to be at around the 500kcal mark. Liquefy the noodles and measure everything in ml? But how do I liquefy noodles? Makes no sense at all. I left them there.

    Did you ever find odd calorie information that makes no sense at all?

    You forgot to account for the volume of the noodles themselves. You're only counting the water + spices + whatever oil mix they used. :wink:

    I know, but how do you account for the volume of noodles measured as a fluid? That's what I meant with liquefying the noodles. I mean, this information just IS rubbish.
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 6,946Member Member Posts: 6,946Member Member
    Can you post the actual label? It will be easier to explain if we can see the entire thing.
  • yirarayirara Posts: 3,626Member Member Posts: 3,626Member Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Can you post the actual label? It will be easier to explain if we can see the entire thing.

    Well, I didn't buy it as I don't want to deal with something like this. Look, I've been tracking for a long time and generally don't buy things with unclear labelling. This one is very different as it was much worse than everything I've ever seen as what I wrote above was all the information on the label, next to macros and ingredients. The pack didn't even mention how much content there was inside.
  • apullumapullum Posts: 2,257Member Member Posts: 2,257Member Member
    Grind up noodles, see how much noodle powder you can fit in a 100 ml container?

    Maybe these were imported noodles and something on the nutrition label was lost in translation.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 16,809Member Member Posts: 16,809Member Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Grind up noodles, see how much noodle powder you can fit in a 100 ml container?

    Maybe these were imported noodles and something on the nutrition label was lost in translation.

    Yes, I've had incomprehensible information on packages of noodles I've bought at the Asian store.
Sign In or Register to comment.