Received Saxenda prescription, would love input and advice!

My doctor suggested Saxenda as I have gained a lot of weight recently (+/-30 lbs in eight weeks) and also suffer from sugar cravings making it very difficult to eat less. I exercise regularly without much success. All my problems started after I was put on high doses of cortisone (Betapred) recently (going from 1 g/IV daily to 100 mg/daily and tapering down by 20 mg/week). Although I did not stay on steroids for more than eight weeks, they really messed me up and caused me to gain tons of weight which I now seem unable to lose. Therefore, my doctor suggested Saxenda to make me lose more weight initially. My current BMI is 30 so clinically obese. I was recently diagnosed with insulin and leptin resistance as well.
I know Saxenda is terribly expensive, but what I don't understand is how long the only option available at my local pharmacy (Saxenda 6 mg/ml x 5) will last if I start by taking 0.6 mg daily and slowly work myself up to 3 mg/daily after five weeks...I'd be really grateful if someone could fill me in, and would also appreciate reviews on Saxenda...my doctor made it sound like a miracle drug but before spending a fortune on it I'd really like to hear from others having had weight loss success with it!

Anna

Replies

• joyce25w
    joyce25w Posts: 8 Member
    Hi there!

I just joined myfitnesspal a couple days ago.

I was hoping to find others on Saxenda. I will try to help answer best I can, there are sone great groups on FB as well.

Honestly it depends on how your body reacts to the med as to how long it will last. Only go up if you think it is not working. And then go slowly, one click at a time. If you get to the full 3.0 dose you will use 1 pen a week. Take your clicks slowly. I never went past 2.4 (because it was working).

I am restarting Saxenda again (I am my own worst enemy lol). My first round was 40 lbs in about 8 months. It's not a magic shot, you have to work at it and take it slow. I didn't really log last time so I am making myself do it from now on. My own worst enemy gained back 21 lbs in 3 months! It's all about your mindset and watching your food.

If my insurance didn't cover it, I would not be on it due to the price!

I am a horrible snaker and sweets person! With this shot, because I feel so full, I can't even think about eating sweets!!

Again, this is just my journey. Only you can decide on your journey, just know that you have others to partner with!!

One final comment... if you feel like your body is reacting differently to the shot, please speak with your doctor! Reviews are great but at the end of the day, it's your health!!!!

Let me know if you are taking this and how is your journey going.