Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What do you eat when your invited out or to a bbq?

Mrsindepenant1Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 133Member, Premium Member Posts: 133Member, Premium Member
We eat out a lot and tonight are going to a bbq at a friends. I don’t know what will be served, most likely home kill sausages and steak and salads, potatoes. We have been asked to bring a salad. But I don’t know what to do for myself. I can’t exactly take scales and weigh all my food hahaha. I was thinking of precooking some prawns and taking something else for myself all weighed out but wouldn’t that seem rude? What do others do when they are invited out?

Replies

• happymom221happymom221 Posts: 71Member Member Posts: 71Member Member
    Take a big lettuce salad and your favorite home made dressing. Fill 3/4 of your plate with that and take thank you bites of some other interesting foods
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Posts: 4,389Member Member Posts: 4,389Member Member
    i do the same at BBQ's as at all other away from home or non pre measured lunch box meals - aim to eat sensibly and estimate what cannot be measured accurately - eg I might log one sausage (and assume it is same as sausages I have measured previously at home, 1 hamburger- ditto, 100g potato salad, 1 slice of bread ,100g coleslaw etc.

Estimate the serving size of things like coleslaw and assume they are same calorie count as ones I have previously measured.
    I'm sure they are not but averages out.

What I would NOT do is take my own single serve pre measured meal. I would just eat sensibly, estimate and not do something which draws attention to myself and my weight loss program.

• CarvedTonesCarvedTones Posts: 2,319Member Member Posts: 2,319Member Member
    I don't eat beef or pork, so bringing a couple of chicken or turkey sausages to toss on the grill isn't rude; expecting them to provide an alternative for my choices might be though.
  • bisonpitcherbisonpitcher Posts: 436Member Member Posts: 436Member Member
    I usually just try to make the best choices I can and enjoy it. If it's family, I do bring my scale and weigh out things.
  • gallicinvasiongallicinvasion Posts: 193Member Member Posts: 193Member Member
    I usually plan my day before I go. If I want a hot dog or a burger, I pre-log it as to estimate how much it’ll be. I also agree with myself that I can have lots of salad, a half cup of the best-looking side dish, and a half-serving of a dessert if it looks really good/special/delicious. Then I eat a regular or slightly smaller breakfast/lunch and go with my BBQ plan. If there’s something unexpected there that I want to spend extra calories on, I won’t deny myself (and usually there will be room in the weekly calories for this). And by the way, for all of these items I’m making a good-faith calorie estimate; can’t be perfect but you get as close as you reasonably can.

The downfalls for me now are alcohol and the foods that you just pick from absentmindedly (chips, cheese and crackers, etc). I try to avoid sitting next to those, and I usually either plan to have 3 low-cal alcoholic drinks if I can fit them in, or no drinks at all. (No point in wasting calories on drinks if I’m not gonna be feeling tipsy!!)
    edited January 12
  • TavistockToadTavistockToad Posts: 34,154Member Member Posts: 34,154Member Member
    We eat out a lot and tonight are going to a bbq at a friends. I don’t know what will be served, most likely home kill sausages and steak and salads, potatoes. We have been asked to bring a salad. But I don’t know what to do for myself. I can’t exactly take scales and weigh all my food hahaha. I was thinking of precooking some prawns and taking something else for myself all weighed out but wouldn’t that seem rude? What do others do when they are invited out?

Bbq steak and salad sounds great to me.

Gjust guesstimate the size of the meat.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 26,385Member Member Posts: 26,385Member Member
    Make a lower calorie salad (although personally I love corn/bean salads), fill up on that, and enjoy the meat. Grilled meat really isn't horrible, even a sausage is maybe 300 calories (big pork one) and not that hard to fit in. The hard part is avoiding sauces and chips (and dessert).

It's just one meal. Even if you underestimate a little, it's not a huge deal.
  • Chef_BarbellChef_Barbell Posts: 4,924Member, Premium Member Posts: 4,924Member, Premium Member
    I'd eat a steak... med rare. 🤷🏼‍♀️