Group Exercise Classes - Do you take them and why?! Just gathering opinions and misconceptions

Options

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    No, I don't attend group classes. I have a couple of times in the past, just to try them, but I didn't find them enjoyable. There are a couple of reasons for that.

First, my exercise time is my "me time", my time to be by myself. Everybody needs me time now and then but I'd say (and my family would like agree) that I need more of it than the average bear. I'm fairly introverted and after interacting with people all day at work I need a bit of solitude.

Second, I have a lot of trouble learning physical things in a group environment. I'm not a natural at most athletic or dancing or other coordination-based movements. I've always found that I am still moving into a position while the class is several ahead of me. I tried a fairly basic yoga class (one that was supposed to promote relaxation) a few summers ago and even after several weeks nothing "clicked" with me. It caused more stress than it relieved so I quit.

Third, for the most part, the classes don't involve activities or skills that I want to do. That part is just a matter of personal preference.

I think the bolded is a good thing for the OP to listen to or for any instructors. Perhaps doing an into class where these are the movements you'll be doing or learning is a good thing. I can pick up choreography really easily, I've been doing it my entire life, but I've been to classes with friends and they struggle learning on the fly and get discouraged.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I would guess that part of the reason for your post is that you are looking for ways to expand your business. It’s smart to understand what needs aren’t being met. I do a lot of Leslie Sansone videos and find it interesting that her walk based classes were born because she noticed some in her classes had trouble keeping up with the dance like aerobic moves. I’d encourage you to think about the classes you currently offer. Do they reach a broad audience? HIIT and Spin classes are all I hear about in my area. If my schedule were more clear, I’d personally not be interested in starting a class like that. I’d feel self conscious unlesss I had already attended beginner focused classes with that instructor and felt comfortable stepping up my game. Even if that beginner class was matketed toward seniors. Who is your current audience? Who is missing from your current audience?
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love my SoulCycle (Spin) class. I could cycle on a bike at home- it would be a lot cheaper! - but there is something about being in a group working towards the same goal that makes you work harder. You look around and think “If you can do this, I can do this!”.

I think finding a class you enjoy really matters, doing something you don’t like is no fun, in a class or otherwise.

I also like to run. For me that is a solo activity, the me time is part of why I do it.
  • BethE238
    BethE238 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I go in phases with them. I like them because they push me to workout harder, or teach me new things. In general, I prefer to workout by myself though, because it’s my only “me” time where I can watch or listen to whatever I want (music, tv, audiobooks) or just concentrate on myself and my thoughts. My main motivation for going to the gym every night is literally just so I can get alone time where I don’t have to talk to anyone or take care of anyone (I of course have other motivations, but that is my #1.)
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I did 1. Was not what I thought I had signed up for. Was labelled beginner weight training, so I thought they were going through the basics of lifting, but it was a cardio weight lifting class. Hated it. Have not done a group class since but worked with a coach at the Y to learn some basic lifting instead.

I'd rather do my workout alone. Even my running is normally alone.

Yep. Similar experience. The ones I took at my gym were called full body strength (and they have one called cardio strength), so one would assume that one is a weight-lifting class. It was a combination of cardio, dumbbell work, and core work. Didn't dislike it, but not something I'd do regularly.
    I'm a little curious to do the cardio strength one just to see what the difference would be, but my cardio isn't good so a bit apprehensive.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba and (sometimes) body combat classes. I like th fact that the schedule is set, I have to be there at a particular time, so I go (if I can go any time I want and work on my own, I never do...)
    Also, the instructors are important. I usually go to the gym in the afternoon after work. The instructors are fun, inspiring and they really know what they (and you) are doing, explain new movements and correct you if you are doing something wrong. During the summer holidays, I went a pair of times in the morning, a nd found the instructor just terrible, all appearance and no substance... won't be coming back to her classes. If the gym decided to put this lady in charge of the afternoon classes, I'd change gyms. Of course, liking the activity is important but, for me, the instructor attitude makes the class a success or a failure.
  • Gashliecrumb1
    Gashliecrumb1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Group fitness has a few benefits for me. I draw energy from the people around me and push harder. I take inspiration from the older folks who are still at it.

I'm prone to boredom, so I've tried a lot over the years - cardio kickbox, step, yoga, and powerlift. Currently, spin and bootcamp are my regular classes. As others have said - the instructor is key!! Form is so important and not all the instructors provide enough guidance. I really appreciate the ones who develop new routines and music mixes. It keeps things fresh.

I'm very introverted but it isn't an issue. I attend the early classes before work. The crowd at the 5:30 and 6 am classes aren't there to socialize. They're a pretty focused, "knock it out" group so I haven't run into any gal pals who treat classes as social hour. My thought is you're not working hard enough if you can speak in full sentences.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I only do one (Zumba) and have done for nearly 2 years now - it was one of the first things I tried when I started to exercise.

The only reason I've stuck with this is because the instructor is fantastic and the people that attend are great. If the class stopped for some reason I probably wouldn't start another - I'd just go the the gym for one extra day a week.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Nope. I spend all day talking to people and listening to people ...I just want to be in my headspace and jam out to NOFX
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I take a Cycle-Fit class 3x weekly. Love it.
  • Savagawea
    Savagawea Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I actually take a few classes!

I lift on my own because I have specific goals and time requirements and don’t like distractions.

I also have been taking martial art classes for 12 years and recently joined a group HIIT class.

I like the group classes as it’s easy to walk away from finishing strong when you’re at home. At home, I could to easily be enabled to think.. well that’s enough, and throw in the towel.

I think being in a group makes me a little competitive too!

I want to keep going because I don’t want to be the only one in class that didn’t push my limits.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm much prefer to workout at home alone but I'm an introvert so that's likely why. Although, I don't mind yoga classes.
  • CookieJones2018
    CookieJones2018 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I teach group dance classes and the general consensus of why people seem to take them seems to be the support, the general feeling of accountability (when people miss classes, other people ask them if they're okay, where they've been, etc) and the energy boost they get from the community feel.
  • MikeNASMGFI
    MikeNASMGFI Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The biggest underlying factor I am seeing is that the instructor makes or breaks whether or not you come back. While they are not a personal trainer, they should be offering modifications given that the population is never on the exact same level fitness wise. My HIIT class had people from 21 to 66 yrs old in there yet they all keep coming back. If there’s room I workout with everyone and act as the visual key for everyone. I’ll throw in modifications for the heck of it and call it out if I scan the room and see someone having bad form or is struggling.
  • MikeNASMGFI
    Options
    I’d say the number one misconception, aside from group classes are “not for me without trying one” is that you have to lift heavy to gain strength. Your muscles do not care how much you are lifting or how long you are in the gym, all they know is if are they exhausted or fatigued. I myself take other classes and have learned a ton from them, albeit my oerspective is a bit different. I look at how they queue the music, interact with participants, flow of the class in general, etc. I hate when people ask me “how much do you bench?” Dude I haven’t benched press regularly since college! What I do though is push my tempo harder, throw my bodyweight further, and every single time that translates to more power. From fundamental to explosive moves you need all of them!
  • MikeNASMGFI
    Options
    The positives far outweigh the downside. I understand people can have schedules that simply do not allow to make those times. And kudos to all of you who still get something done.
    I teach group dance classes and the general consensus of why people seem to take them seems to be the support, the general feeling of accountability (when people miss classes, other people ask them if they're okay, where they've been, etc) and the energy boost they get from the community feel.

I fully agree with @CookieJones2018 The community sense is amazing. This gets people to look at others and push one another positively. Look working out is not easy, but having fun while doing it? Sign me up!