Does weight lifting while losing weight slow down your per pound weight loss?

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times but I searched and cant find the answer I was looking for, so here i am!

The last time I lost a lot of weight I didn't exercise at all. Now I'm back on the wagon many years later and while eating at a deficit I'm also running 2 miles and walking 1 on a treadmill, then 30-45 minutes of weight/body weight exercises. Usually 3 or 4 sets of 10 reps with weights that feel heavy, but obviously not so heavy that I can only do a few reps. Not sure how much this info matters.

I've only been tracking things for a week now, and haven't weighed myself since then (I prefer to wait every 2 to 3 weeks). My question is, I know people say when you train with weights you gain muscle weight, but is it substantial enough that it will slow down my weight loss in sheer pounds, or does it take a while to build up to that level of muscle gain?

I've taken my measurements but I assume it would take a month or so before I see major differences there, enough to know I'm measuring perfectly accurately.

Only asking because I dont want to hop on the scale and get discouraged if I'm still actually making progress. Hope this makes sense, I just want to understand better.

Replies

• nahdizahrani357
    nahdizahrani357 Posts: 1 Member
    Bump.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Not really. You can build muscle while in a calorie deficit but it’s not easy. All your strength training will be great for maintaining your current muscle mass but it’s unlikely that if the scale hasn’t moved down as much as you want, it’s because you gained muscle.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Not really. You can build muscle while in a calorie deficit but it’s not easy. All your strength training will be great for maintaining your current muscle mass but it’s unlikely that if the scale hasn’t moved down as much as you want, it’s because you gained muscle.

Cool, thanks for your reply!
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    The most common issue people see is a short term stall in weight loss because of water retention following taking up a new or more intense exercise regime.

Soreness = inflammation = water retention = weight loss not tracking caloric deficit as expected.

That's why it's important to understand quite how dumb a simple measuring device like bathroom scales are - don't pin your happiness or solely track weight as a measure of success.

^^^THIS^^^
  • purple4sure05
    Thanks everyone for the insight! All very helpful
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I disagree for weightloss exercise is imperative. You do not gain weight when you lift weights. You actually lose weight. Most people say they gained weight while lifting weights but just might be eating more which you dont have to do!!!!! 3 balanced meals consisting of protein, healthy fat and carbs. Studies show heavy lifting is the way to go and cardio just a few times a week. Also if you didnt workout while losing weight you would not be toned and therefor your skin would be saggy.

I have been a certified fitness instructor for over 13 years and have been working out including lifting weights for over 25 years. Im 43. Had 3 babies and lost all my baby weight everytime by 3 months post partum. This time my youngest is 2 i am the thinnest, leanest and strongest ive been since my 20s.

I lift heavy, do tabata training 2 days a week, run/sprint work 2 days a week and yoga. Right now I'm trying to really lean out and build more muscle so training is more intense but when i lost all the weight i was working out 5-6 days a week.

I have clients in my classes that have lost weight with lifting weights and high intensity interval training (tabata). And have gotten amazing results. Just 30 min of weights and 20 min of the hiit training.

Also working out makes you want to eat more healthy and in turn makes you stay on the wagon. It has become such a habit for doing it for some many years.

Good luck and enjoy!

you lose weight in a deficit whether you lift or not. you also dont need 3 balanced meals I lost 45 lbs and I dont eat 3 meals a day,many here eat one meal a day. as for saggy skin that in most cases happen when you lose weight too fast. my first 17 lbs I didnt work out and I dont have saggy skin. and working out doesnt make everyone want to eat more. I know if I lift weights it staves my appetite until the next day. what is working for you is not going to be the key for everyone here.if you lost weight you were in a deficit.

I tried lifting before I tried losing weight. I lost not a dang pound. I exercised before I ate in a deficit. I again lost nothing. I started eating in a deficit and I lost weight. funny how that works. you cannot out exercise a bad diet,so if you eat too much you wont lose weight if not in a deficit.not everyone can exercise either so how do you explain how they lost weight without exercise?

with my first child I lost all my baby weight within 24 hrs my belly looked like a deflated balloon, my second I lost half within a week, the second half was a bit harder to lose but I was eating more. I gained 40lbs with both kids and both were under 8lbs. but after time I went back to my pre pregnancy weight, everyone is different and what works or worked for me wont be the case with everyone else.
  • lorebb1
    lorebb1 Posts: 4 Member
    Weights and cardio and healthy eating works! 80/20 rule !
    Loosing weight and being healthy is a lifestyle change , it is so rewarding. I lost 27 pounds in 5 weeks - and felt healthier by eating non processed foods , meals 3-5 times a day. I did lots of cardio, weights, low sodium, and drank lots of water ! You will be bloated at first but then you will see results , Patience is the key ( it was one of those online competitions they emailed me meal and workout plans 😍) After the competition was over, I kept the weight off because I do some cardio, but I broke the eating “healthy” part 👎🏼. I diet to be healthy and my fat% shows how unhealthy I can get. It is true : 80% food - 20% workout , works!

My current goal is to maintain my weight and lower my fat% ( doing lots of research on that ) , so I have to get back working with weights and slow down the cardio ( this is when I need a trainer and nutritionist ) ... my fat% shows me how unhealthy my body can get by eating whatever I want. Weights made me feel better because my body looked toned and I knew I was replacing bad fat with good lean muscle ... you can do this!!!
  • purple4sure05
    The most common issue people see is a short term stall in weight loss because of water retention following taking up a new or more intense exercise regime.

Soreness = inflammation = water retention = weight loss not tracking caloric deficit as expected.

That's why it's important to understand quite how dumb a simple measuring device like bathroom scales are - don't pin your happiness or solely track weight as a measure of success.

How long does that water weight take to go away? If I'm not sore anymore is that a good indicator? Just curious.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    lorebb1 wrote: »
    Weights and cardio and healthy eating works! 80/20 rule !
    Loosing weight and being healthy is a lifestyle change , it is so rewarding. I lost 27 pounds in 5 weeks - and felt healthier by eating non processed foods , meals 3-5 times a day. I did lots of cardio, weights, low sodium, and drank lots of water ! You will be bloated at first but then you will see results , Patience is the key ( it was one of those online competitions they emailed me meal and workout plans 😍) After the competition was over, I kept the weight off because I do some cardio, but I broke the eating “healthy” part 👎🏼. I diet to be healthy and my fat% shows how unhealthy I can get. It is true : 80% food - 20% workout , works!

My current goal is to maintain my weight and lower my fat% ( doing lots of research on that ) , so I have to get back working with weights and slow down the cardio ( this is when I need a trainer and nutritionist ) ... my fat% shows me how unhealthy my body can get by eating whatever I want. Weights made me feel better because my body looked toned and I knew I was replacing bad fat with good lean muscle ... you can do this!!!

its not 80/20, weight loss is 100% calories in /calories out. you can do no exercise and eat in a deficit and losew weight. no one is saying to do that but some people cant exercise. and healthy eating has no bearing on fat/weight loss but it does have an affect on health. 27 lbs in 5 weeks is 5.4 lbs a week which is a deficit of 18.900 a week or 2700 a day. now Im sure some of that was water weight at first. but if you are on the morbid obese category that rate of loss is not healthy and you are losing a lot of lean mass/muscle with it.

if you are/were gaining fat its due to eating over your TDEE(too many calories is what cause weight/fat gain). you also do NOT replace bad fat with lean muscle it does not work that way.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

How long does that water weight take to go away? If I'm not sore anymore is that a good indicator? Just curious.

its going to vary person to person. as for not being sore no I dont think thats a good indicator, I can be retaining water and NOT be sore and vice versa, get a weighing app(libra,trendweight,etc) that you can log your weight in daily and from there you can see the fluctuations(which are normal). but every time you work out you will retain some water. so dont be surprised if the next day or two if weight goes up. same with that time of the month too,
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member

For me, if I keep up the challenge (keep increasing weight/reps as feasible), I don't lose the small amount of water weight. It's part of muscle repair, and keeping the challenge means keeping some muscle repair going, sore or no.

If I'm in a calorie deficit (from the balance of eating and activity), my fat loss will eventually overtake the few pounds of water retention, and I'll see loss on the scale again. How fast that happens will vary based on how fast the fat loss is happening (which is mostly dependent on what a healthy loss rate is at that body weight), but it can be complicated for premenopausal women by menstrual-cycle-related water weight fluctuations going on at the same time.

The water weight (whether from exercise or hormones) isn't fat, so it's not worth worrying about: It's just part of how healthy bodies function. If you're premenopausal, evaluate your weight trend by comparing a similar point in one menstrual cycle and the next: That should give you a better reading.

Muscle gain is really slow, especially for women, even under ideal conditions (and calorie deficit, i.e., during weight loss, isn't ideal conditions). Under ideal conditions, gaining a pound of month of muscle mass would be a really good result for a woman. If you're losing fat (through a calorie deficit), any muscle gain will be limited, and won't outpace any reasonable rate of fat loss. (Strength training is still worth doing. People who are new to it may see some muscle mass gains, and certainly will see substantial strength gains from neuromuscular adaptation, plus maintain as much of their existing muscle as possible while losing fat. All of that is worthwhile!).

You mention wanting to understand the process better. For me, the best way to understand my body's process has been to weigh daily and consistently, while recognizing that weight will fluctuate up and down day to day, but the range of fluctuations will change over weeks and months. For example, when I started losing in 2015, my weight ranged 176-169 in May, 169-165 in June, up and down during each month, all the way to 130-125 in December. Since I was weighing daily, I came to understand what caused the ups and downs (more salt, more workouts, etc.). This may not be a good solution for someone who is very stressed by seeing the scale move up, but the understanding it created helped me in the long run. YMMV.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Extremely variable.
    It's been a while since I was a newbie to lifting (1974 I think it was!).
    Also depends on the person and their training regime, I very rarely feel sore, some people frequently get sore.

With so few data points from your infrequent weighing you may not get a clear picture for months.