Muscle building and losing bod fat simultaneously

How to do carbon cycling properly...like how many high carb days and low carb days in a week....i am currently 170lbs 5'8" with body 17%fat approx...want to get it down to 10-12% fat ..

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Carb cycling is mainly an advanced technique, in my opinion anyways. Why don’t you just cut calories? @17 percent to 12% or so you don’t have to do anything complicated and fancy. Is there a reason you want to carb cycle?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Primarily, building muscle while losing fat is largely driven by yout lifting program, protein and compliance. Now you can certainly integrate carb cycling as part of the plan (high carb on lifting days, low carb or keto on non lifting days) if you feel it will improve performance and help with consistency.

I was always a big fan of the below article.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-carb-cycling/
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    you can do both at the same time. i never suggest doing fat loss and muscle building simultaneously though. it takes longer than either one alone and the results are always less than you want. the first time I cut I realized that I didn't have the muscular base that I needed. I decided to work on that for a while. I kept by body fat at an acceptable level and concentrated on gaining muscle. carb cycling is awesome but I agree its advanced. it should be added when all of the other factors are in place.