Binge eating and feeling helpless.

Options
2»

Replies

• stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am also someone who binge eats or over eats in the evening. What I am trying out now is eating more protein throughout the day. Also, my last real meal is lunch where I eat at work what I prepared the night before. Once I get home, my supper is usually hard boiled eggs and an oatmeal or nutrigrain bar for desserts. So far so good but only time will tell. I also try to not have any snacks at home other than rice cakes or fruits and veggies. However, I am married so I cannot keep the house completely junk food free. I also have started to ask myself, am i really hungry or am i bored? If it's not real hunger, I try to pre-occupy myself with an activity other than tv.
  • rachelsadie01
    rachelsadie01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to distract myself by online browsing... even if I don’t buy anything, my Amazon cart is ready for when I reach my first goal weight.
  • bethberryjuice
    bethberryjuice Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also someone who binge eats or over eats in the evening. What I am trying out now is eating more protein throughout the day. Also, my last real meal is lunch where I eat at work what I prepared the night before. Once I get home, my supper is usually hard boiled eggs and an oatmeal or nutrigrain bar for desserts. So far so good but only time will tell. I also try to not have any snacks at home other than rice cakes or fruits and veggies. However, I am married so I cannot keep the house completely junk food free. I also have started to ask myself, am i really hungry or am i bored? If it's not real hunger, I try to pre-occupy myself with an activity other than tv.

Great advice. Thank you very much.
  • bethberryjuice
    bethberryjuice Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like to distract myself by online browsing... even if I don’t buy anything, my Amazon cart is ready for when I reach my first goal weight.

Hmmm! I might try this!
  • emmab3ar
    emmab3ar Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Your not alone I struggle with it too most days I’m doing good I’m learning to manage my emotions and honor how I feel and not be to hard on myself.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the bandwagon of distraction here. I typically go nuts in the evening (especially after I've clicked that holy 'complete' button on the food diary here on MFP). So I do evening workouts.

When it's too darned cold outside to do a nice little high speed bike ride or run, I'll try and do something in the house. And if I'm too exhausted from the day to bother working out, there's always menial chores around the house. Without any of those, there's always video games. And if I REAAAAAALLY want something, I get a small bowl and give myself a set amount of it. And force myself to drink a 30oz water bottle along with that delightful little snack. That fills me up more than enough to keep me from going back for more. ;)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm not a binge eater...but I do have to have all the junk out of my house ...then it is easy to stick to my diet. I don't know if that is realistic for you. I'm an empty nester..so I don't have kids around..so I have zero bread..no peanut butter... nothing at all like that.

the other night I would easily have eaten peanut butter on bread if I could have.. but I had nothing but vegetables , spices.. eggs, lean meat to munch on. haha. it works.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    YouTube Emotional Eating...lots of info to choose from..."Healing Emotional Eating" Janet D. Thomas...you can also google her. I found this recommendation when I was hunting around for an emotional eating thread on MFP. I watched a 3 min video of hers on YouTube but there are lots of her videos. Worth checking out.
  • rose_drops
    rose_drops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat radishes and carrots like they are going out of style, try that. Don't be down on yourself. If you are here now, that means the will to fight is in you😊