Feeling Exhausted Using New FitBit

I got a FitBit on Tuesday and, prior to that, I was pretty much sedentary. Now I’m trying to get 10K steps every day and I’m just exhausted!!! I take my dogs on at least one (sometimes two) long walk/jog every day, run laps around my backyard, march in place while watching TV, run up and down the stairs, etc. I’m doing basically anything I can think of to add steps. My sister also got one and we can see each other’s activity. She’s in the military and has never been overweight and I have like 75-100lbs to lose. I slept for over 10 hours last night and was feeling SO much better this morning, but then I jogged for 30 mins and I’m pooped again.

What’s the best way to utilize this tracking tool to get those steps, burn calories, but not feel completely drained? Thank you!!!!

Replies

• SpookyPockets
    SpookyPockets Posts: 33 Member
    Yeah you definitely need to go in stages with it.

My advice would be to try to add steps in ways that you're likely to maintain, too. Going for a walk or taking the dogs out sounds great but climbing up and down the stairs for the sake of it is probably something that will lose its novelty? They're great to motivate and remind you but use it to try and form some better habits you'll stick to long after it stops being exciting and new
  • meritage5
    meritage5 Posts: 32 Member
    Aim for 5000 steps and when that is doable jump to 7500 and then 10000. You started with too high a goal.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    meritage5 wrote: »
    Aim for 5000 steps and when that is doable jump to 7500 and then 10000. You started with too high a goal.

As I recall, 10,000 is the default goal. OP probably didn't know it could be changed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Don't exhaust yourself: It's counter-productive for weight loss.

It's nice to sleep soundly, but if you work so frantically at getting steps that you sleep extra hours, you're effectively wiping out some of your exercise-calorie burnj by sleeping more.

If you're working for weight loss, find sustainable ways to move more, ones you'll want to continue forever, so you can not only lose weight, but keep it off permanently to stay at a healthy weight. Doing things you can't/won't continue isn't a route to sustainable weight loss.

Sure, walk a bit more, in ways that are fun, productive, sustainable. Walk the dog, window shop, visit the park. Run laps around the yard? Run up and down stairs for no other reason than getting steps? I can't imagine living that way long term.

There are other things you can do to burn calories, things that are more fun or productive: Garden, redecorate the bedroom, paint the living room, dance, play active games, go for a bike ride, take up new and active hobbies. Your body counts those activities, whether your Fitbit does or not.

In general, for any new form of activity, you want to work your way up, starting with a duration, intensity and form of activity that's manageable but a tiny bit of challenge, and that fits into your life well (with good balance, allowing time for family, work, other hobbies, etc.). Then, increase gradually, keeping a little challenge, and keeping good life balance. That's the sweet spot.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited January 2019
    I agree with all of the above. Going from sedentry to walking and jogging is too big a step. No wonder you are tired.

I have a fitbit charge 3 and you can set the alarm to go off every hour to remind you to walk. I started just trying to get the 250 steps per hour now I am getting 500-600 per hour. I am retired though so can walk when I like.

I have 8000 steps as a goal. I was only getting in 3000 when I started, now I am getting in 6000 so on my way.

Start slow and build up.

ETA: Are you eating enough to fuel this new exercise? Only if you have your calorie goal set too low it can leave you feeling tired as well. Just a thought. :) Be a bit kinder to yourself. :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    You need to gradually up your steps/activity

Start by getting a baseline of your steps on a normal day. When I started out I was barely getting to 3000 a day.
    Then start increasing your target by just 100 extra steps each day. By adding such a small number your body will be better able to cope.
    That's how I started out and now I regularly take 25000-30000 steps a day and sometimes more
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Stop running. If you want to run, first get to the point where you can walk 10,000 steps comfortably in a day, then follow a program like Couch to 5k.

There's nothing wrong with running, but it's not appropriate for somebody who was sedentary until a couple days ago.