Can someone explain to me.

I don’t understand why they say diet pills are bad for you. I just need something that’s going to help my appetite I don’t understand what’s wrong with them I over ate so much I feel like I need extra help

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    most diet pills over the counter have caffeine in them and many have other ingredients touted to help with weight loss yet the ingredients have NO proof (scientific studies/back up) that prove that they work. they took the main ingredient out that use to help you to lose weight(ephedra/ephedrine),as it was a stimulant. weight loss pills that are over the counter no longer contain that product. so most are just filled with crap ingredients. they also say on the bottle " along with diet and exericse"
  • hilarioustim
    hilarioustim Posts: 2 Member
    I understand that they can be potentially dangerous for your heart. When I took them, the doctor made me get my blood pressure checked regularly. But keep in mind that while approved pills do work, their effect is limited. For me, the pills worked for a few weeks, and then my body got used to them. I lost a few extra pounds during those weeks, so they're a good jump start, but they're not a silver bullet. Your doctor will want to weigh the risk against the limited benefit you can expect from the pills.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    From what I heard, they're not really properly vetted by the FDA so the ingredients advertised on the bottle may not be what is actually in them. Plus, they don;t really help with quench appetite. They usually have caffeine to give you an energy boost for working out so if you don't work out, they are pretty much useless.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    From what I heard, they're not really properly vetted by the FDA so the ingredients advertised on the bottle may not be what is actually in them. Plus, they don;t really help with quench appetite. They usually have caffeine to give you an energy boost for working out so if you don't work out, they are pretty much useless.

anything over the counter is not vetted by the FDA. the FDA doesnt have strict restricitions on over the counter supplements,the only restrictions they have is the label is supposed to say " these statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration ,this product is not intended to diagnose,treat,cure or prevent any disease" if anything claims otherwise its supposed to be taken off the shelves and the FDA will warn the company to change the wording.its happened with a lot of weight loss products including MLMs. so its a buyer beware kind of thing to be honest.

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    In my younger years I also took diet pills, candies, etc. I don't remember product names but I do remember theme not being effective. I quit them when I felt my heart racing. The lasting side effect is that I am now on medication for atrial fibrillation. Wish I would have been wiser way back then. As for you, if you like to over eat, you may need to change what you eat so you can eat a lot with fewer calories. I can make a huge salad with 1/6 head iceburg lettuce, roma tomato,1/2 cucumber, 1 250g apple, 100 gram chicken, 1 1/4c shredded cheese with 2 tbls dressing. Make sure everything is cut very small, and sit and enjoy. Make sure you put it in a soup bowl as it will be huge. Then to stay in my cal for supper I will do a stirfry with 2 cups frozen vegies, 100g chicken breast, a little soy sauce, and chicken bullion with 1 tbls cornstarch to thicken. Serve over 100 g brown rice. Again, a lot of food but very satisfying. Do some experimenting to see how many veggies you can pack in to add volume.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    People often talk about volume eating, but I do wonder if, for many, it isn't just their appetite that's an issue, but specifically their appetite for hyperpalatable foods. I enjoy a good salad or a stir fry, but would never choose to eat such large portions of them. In fact, often my purpose in choosing them is to get my nutrition out of the way and still have the calories to move on to other things. ;) I know everyone is different- I just wonder at times how well-received suggestions are about overloading one's plate with veggies to combat hunger... and if that's even what people in these cases are trying to combat.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Some people have poor communication between the digestive tract and the brain. Enzymes? Nerve paths? Psychology?

Several tactics to interfere with this same problem.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    There is a new medicine that's apparently safer than previous medicines. As people get older the leptin receptors in our brains lose effectiveness. Leptin is a hormone produced by fat cells and is meant to reduce appetite.

This new medicine boosts the effectiveness of the receptors. It doesn't boost metabolism like previous weight loss medicines which in some cases killed people.

Unfortunately I never kept a note of the name of the chemical, but it might be called Celastrol. It's available for purchase now in some countries.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019
    lgreiykid105.gif
    Anytime someone asks about the effectiveness/danger of diet pills I immediately think of Requiem for a Dream.