Zero sodium bread

Options
dauchsmom
dauchsmom Posts: 75 Member
In one forum I mentioned that one does NOT need salt in most bread recipes to make bread. Well, the "experts" tried to tell me differently. Salt is added to bread to enhance flavor, it does NOTHING ELSE in most recipes (I've not found one yet and I've been baking bread since I was twelve years old).

So today I decided to prove it.

The recipe is in the link and the proof is in the bread selfie!
qi84uj7sx2ix.jpg

Two loaves, 12 helpings, NO SODIUM!

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    How did it taste without salt?
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options

The no-salt bread we make at home tastes like bread.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »

Cool! I don’t need to watch my sodium so it’s all the same to me but I was curious about the taste and if it affected texture. I wonder if manufacturers use salt in bread not only as a flavor enhancer but as a preservative too? Perhaps it lengthens the shelf life of the bread?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Cool! I don’t need to watch my sodium so it’s all the same to me but I was curious about the taste and if it affected texture. I wonder if manufacturers use salt in bread not only as a flavor enhancer but as a preservative too? Perhaps it lengthens the shelf life of the bread?

Salt also helps regulate the yeast -- i.e., if you added too much salt, it would inhibit the yeast so much that the bread wouldn't rise. But in some breads it's desirable to keep the yeast from getting carried away.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In my bread maker experiments I could reduce the sugar but not the salt.

I just couldn’t get enough loft.
    It’s not like a lot of salt is needed.
  • dauchsmom
    Options

My family loved it! :) I liked it very much as well
  • dauchsmom
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

"Regular" homemade breads is not all that salty anyway. Sodium does help out the structure a bit. "Salt plays a role in tightening the gluten structure and adding strength to your dough. It helps the loaf to hold on to the carbon dioxide gas that is formed during fermentation, supporting good volume."

Commercial (store bought) bread is likely much higher in sodium due to the preservative factor.

Looks yummy!

But it certainly isn't necessary. I've made breads for years and always thought it was. But as you can see, mine held up quite well and did everything necessary to become tasty and good. Personally I think that the chemical reactions are variable.
  • dauchsmom
    Options

Salt also helps regulate the yeast -- i.e., if you added too much salt, it would inhibit the yeast so much that the bread wouldn't rise. But in some breads it's desirable to keep the yeast from getting carried away.

Someone else said that on facebook however, I found that my dough rose perfectly, did not get carried away, and was perfectly healthy and happy without salt.

So I'm not sure that "sing the praises of salt" is as important as what you put in and processes used.
  • dauchsmom
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    dauchsmom wrote: »
    In one forum I mentioned that one does NOT need salt in most bread recipes to make bread. Well, the "experts" tried to tell me differently. Salt is added to bread to enhance flavor, it does NOTHING ELSE in most recipes (I've not found one yet and I've been baking bread since I was twelve years old).

If it's the thread I'm thinking of a. I'm definitely not an expert (though I pointed you to some resources that were written by people who are, arguably, experts) and b. salt does more than enhance flavor. Of course you can bake bread without salt. You can also make chicken stock without salt. The only things that easily come to mind you can't make without salt is various preserved items that rely on salt (preserved lemons for instance), salt crusted (baked) fish, salt cod, etc.

I mean you can bake bread without wheat, that doesn't mean that wheat doesn't do anything for bread.

if you're making wheat bread well of course it "does something" for the wheat bread. But if you're making a bread from almond flour and other alternatives, then wheat basically ruins the purpose of the bread.

Maybe baking bread since I was twelve doesn't qualify me as an expert. But I've been doing it since then and this floored me. Like many I thought it NECESSARY to add salt. Until I tried this.

The key is in not adding TOO much flour and in working your gluten. So allow me to share the recipe.

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 package rapid rise yeast
    1 tbsp regular sugar
    1-1.5 cups TAP HOT water

Dissolve your sugar, stirring, in 1 cup tap hot water. Once its completely dissolved (it will cool in this process), add in your yeast and give it a light stir.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours to make sure they're incorporated well. Make a well in the middle.

Once the yeast has grown up and become a bubbly brown family ;) pour into the flours and slowly mix together. You may need to add more WARM water. It should be very loose and wet in appearance but not watery.

Place in a larger bowl that is partially filled with tap warm water *do not overfill* and cover with a warm, damp towel.

It will double up quickly.

Once its doubled, add in 1/4 cup all purpose flour and stir it around. Then dump the mixture out on to a well floured surface and begin kneading. Knead for around 5 minutes or until its smooth as a baby's butt.

Place in a prepared pan of your choice and cover with a damp warm cloth. Let it rise. Then bake at 400 degrees until it sounds hollow when you thump it in the middle.

Very simple. I added Herbs de Provencial to my dough to give it an herby flavor.

• dauchsmom
    Options
    dlfb6lg0byub.jpg

This is the oat loaf. Made essentially the same way only with oat flour added at the end while kneading.

he3dkupnxtr4.jpg

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

If it's the thread I'm thinking of a. I'm definitely not an expert (though I pointed you to some resources that were written by people who are, arguably, experts) and b. salt does more than enhance flavor. Of course you can bake bread without salt. You can also make chicken stock without salt. The only things that easily come to mind you can't make without salt is various preserved items that rely on salt (preserved lemons for instance), salt crusted (baked) fish, salt cod, etc.

I mean you can bake bread without wheat, that doesn't mean that wheat doesn't do anything for bread.

if you're making wheat bread well of course it "does something" for the wheat bread. But if you're making a bread from almond flour and other alternatives, then wheat basically ruins the purpose of the bread.

Maybe baking bread since I was twelve doesn't qualify me as an expert. But I've been doing it since then and this floored me. Like many I thought it NECESSARY to add salt. Until I tried this.

The key is in not adding TOO much flour and in working your gluten. So allow me to share the recipe.

By expert I meant someone who has studied how to make bread and does so/teaches people how to do so as a job - though I recognize that expertise doesn't have to come from a classroom or schooling. I mean I've been baking bread and pasteries since I was 9 or 10 years old - not as long as you have as I suspect you're decades older than me, but I enjoy baking and am very proficient. The example I gave last year was this page from King Arthur's Flour - I can't imagine they have ties to "Big Salt" ;) They're just talking about the various things that salt does to bread. It's more than flavoring and preservation.

Yes my wheat example was a bit drastic, but you could say the same thing about yeast (or lack their of) in various types of quick breads. You don't need yeast to bake bread - see soda bread. I don't wouldn't say that adding wheat flour to a bread made of almond meal necessarily "ruins the purpose of the bread" because what is "the purpose of the bread"? If your point is to make a wheat free bread, then yeah. But if your point is to make a bread that is [primarily] almond meal/flour based then no, it doesn't. If my goal is to make almond cake for Passover, adding wheat flour most definitely ruins the purpose - in a really major way. If I want to make almond cake the rest of the year, I'd prefer a recipe that also includes wheat flour.

Also I could see the herbs de provence playing well with that bread recipe. My [belabored] point isn't that you can't bake bread without salt. It's that salt does more than flavor bread.
  • dauchsmom
    Options
    King Arthur is a good company. And I'm 63 so yeah I'm likely much older. I've never even touched a bread machine. No desire to. Do it all old fashioned. Anyway, all I know is the end result turned out as good, flavorful and soft inside and crusty outside as with salt. And I know you don't need yeast to bake bread. I made some beer bread the other day as well.

Now nut-flour based breads are a whole other creature. I have used flour to make matzos, no yeast obviously in those but they're flat and, well, not noted for flavor lol. I had to make 400 of those suckers for a passover meal at our church. And to do it kosher? I did everything but the Rabbi- I didn't have one nearby.

Apparently I made bread without salt (the photos are mine). But if you don't think so, ok. But I did it :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    King Arthur is a good company. And I'm 63 so yeah I'm likely much older. I've never even touched a bread machine. No desire to. Do it all old fashioned. Anyway, all I know is the end result turned out as good, flavorful and soft inside and crusty outside as with salt. And I know you don't need yeast to bake bread. I made some beer bread the other day as well.

Now nut-flour based breads are a whole other creature. I have used flour to make matzos, no yeast obviously in those but they're flat and, well, not noted for flavor lol. I had to make 400 of those suckers for a passover meal at our church. And to do it kosher? I did everything but the Rabbi- I didn't have one nearby.

Apparently I made bread without salt (the photos are mine). But if you don't think so, ok. But I did it
    :)

I definitely didn't say you didn't make bread or that you can't make bread without salt. If I thought that, most of what I wrote would be totally moot! :) And yeah - I've also never used a bread machine. The only sort of pastry that I strongly prefer to buy is filo or strudel dough, though I've been known to make that by hand as well (I have a goal of it becoming an undaunting task). I mean I'll buy other dough based things, but filo and strudel dough is a bit of a pain comparatively speaking ;)

I haven't made matzo from scratch, but I might this year depending on how much time I have and where I am (last year I was out of town during the first two nights of Passover). There are some brands of matzo that are good, and there are some things that you can make out of matzo that taste good, but on it's own it's far from my favorite cracker. Wheat flour is used to make matzo (unless you get gluten free matzo), the issue is how long it's left in it's unbaked state once the water hits the flour. There's also a really good bakery near me that makes it every year (though it isn't kosher for Passover - no rabbi oversees the making of it and who knows about the flour), so I might order some from them as well.
  • dauchsmom
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My real name is Leah and I'm a fairly Kosher kind of gal.

You can read more about it here

A dear friend of our family, for whom I was named, had mentioned that the flour had to be "watched". In Israel, where she was from, this meant the Rabbi coming in and literally watching the processes, from deliver to manufacturing the matzah itself. Now if you want to argue this, go ahead. You'll be arguing against what a Jewish lady taught us who is from Israel and comes from a long line of Sephardic Jews.

In any case, we shall agree to disagree and put this topic to rest. You have your opinion as do I when it comes to the baking of both regular bread and matzah. And I very much enjoyed the Seder. Try making your own matzah some time (or matzos). You'll find if you do it as per requirement its not easy. Here's the outline of a good kosher product.

The only parts I was truly able to stick to was the 18 minute time limit and the perforation.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Apparently I made bread without salt (the photos are mine). But if you don't think so, ok. But I did it :)

I had been baking bread the old-fashioned way for 30 years when someone gave me a bread machine for Christmas about 15 years ago. Although I think I managed to hide it very well, I was really insulted. What did I need a bread machine for? What a waste of counter space! But I tried it, because it was a gift and I felt like I needed to be able to tell the giver how "great" it worked, and I actually found there are benefits. In summer, I don't have to heat up the house baking in the oven. When I only want one small loaf, I don't have to waste energy heating the oven. And sometimes, I just want to have some homemade bread, but I'm busy and don't want to have to think about it after I toss the ingredients together. I still make it the old-fashioned way a lot of the time. I enjoy it. I think it usually tastes better -- I don't think a machine can knead as well as I can, and it's much easier to judge the texture and water-flour balance if I'm kneading by hand. But it's not an either-or world. I can do the bread machine when that makes sense, and I can make it by hand when that makes sense.
  • dauchsmom
    Options
    Maybe one day I will break down and buy one. Another old fashioned baker suggests something- I'll listen! It could make things easier as I age also.

I know I resisted the Instant Pot at first, now I have a love affair going with it ! lol

Thanks for the inuput!
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Maybe one day I will break down and buy one. Another old fashioned baker suggests something- I'll listen! It could make things easier as I age also.

I know I resisted the Instant Pot at first, now I have a love affair going with it ! lol

Thanks for the inuput!

Hmmm ... I feel pretty much the same way about the InstaPot as I did about the bread machine before I got one. (What do I need one of those for??) Maybe I need to break down and give it a try. :smile:

ETA: But I absolutely draw the line at an electric can opener. No way. No how.